What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Engine Start

Brambo

Well Known Member
Well, after a little over 3 years of building I started the engine (Lycoming IO-360-M1B) for the first time this morning. The engine fired up no problem and all engine instruments seemed in proper working order.

One issue I found later was a few drops of oil on the ground under the sniffle drain. I thought the sniffle valve was there to drain excess fuel after shutdown. How would oil get in there? It was only a few drops so I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned about or not.

My guess would be residual preservation oil. Keep an eye on it, but I think it will resolve itself with continued running of the engine.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I am getting oil out of my snifle valve too

Wow, interesting. I have the exact engine and been getting some oil (a few drops or more) out of my sniffle valve after each flight, I have 34 hours on the engine now.
I finally called Lycoming and they just called back after their research. He thinks that this is part of the preservation oil that did not get drained fully. I can understand and imagine of ways that the preservation oil could get into the induction system but would have thought by now, it would have been cleaned and drained.

He recommended to pull the induction tubes and clean them. I am going to do that at my next oil change or even sooner, hopefully it stops.

Please let me know if pulled your induction tubes and found any thing. My e-mail address is [email protected]

I will be interested to see if yours will stop

after a few hours of running. I am still getting oil out of my sniffle valve after 35 hours and the amount is not getting less

Sniffle Valve

Consider replacing the sniffle valve with the Airflow Performance sniffle, p/n 1090138. That's what we use instead of the Lycoming part number with no problems. They sell for $17.00.

Consider replacing the sniffle valve with the Airflow Performance sniffle, p/n 1090138. That's what we use instead of the Lycoming part number with no problems. They sell for $17.00.

My concern is more towards where is that oil coming from and how is it getting into my induction system. Plus if it does not drain with the new part , then it will just remain in the induction system and I wouldn?t' know that there is an issue? It has been suggested that this is the residual preservation oil but I would have expect to be all drained by now if it was so. So, I am still puzzled

Thanks in advance
Mehrdad

My concern is more towards where is that oil coming from and how is it getting into my induction system. Plus if it does not drain, then it will just remain in the induction system and I wouldn?t' know that there is an issue? It has been suggested that this is the residual preservation oil but I would have expect to be all drained by now if it was so. So, I am still puzzled

Thanks in advance
Mehrdad

Oil drops from the sniffle valve

I was told that this is normal for the first 100 hours or so. The oil wicks down the intake valve stem and runs down the induction tubes to the intake sump. I even had oil dropping from the AFP fuel servo. I have a taildragger which results in oil pooling at the rear of the sump when the aircraft is parked. Durring take off, I would occasionally see a brief white puff of smoke as the throttle went forward -- presumably from the oil pool in the sump and being drawn into the cylinders.

After the first 100 hours, only a couple of oil drops from the sniffle valve were detected after each flight. Now, I have over 375 hours on a BPE IO-390 and rarely notice any oil from the sniffle valve.

Bill
Lee's Summit, MO
RV-7 N151WP
BPE IO-390

Back