What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Engine Start

Robert Scott

I'm New Here
Well, just wanted to share how last Sunday was very exciting! Finally after 4 years of building we started the engine on my Aerosport 0320, Lightspeed/Mag equipped RV9A . A few turns of the prop and It's a live! I can't put into words the feeling of starting the engine on your own Airplane that you built, for the first time. Special thanks to my ground crew Stan ( Safety Officer ), Greg ( Comm ), Jim ( Time Keeper ) and Keith ( Fire Control ), fellow EAA Chpt. 448 members and my family Kimberly, Josh and Sara. For the Guy's still pounding rivets, keep on building!

Robert Scott
RV9A EAA Chapter 448
Cable Airport
A TEAM :D

Robert-

Congrats! Sounds like you had a good time. I am looking forward to the day I can post a similar message.

B.T.W. - I think we met a couple weeks back during one of the Saturday lunches. Mark was showing me around the Cable facility. Anyway, I had fun and decided to join Chapter 448. I sent in an application this week.

B.T.W. - I think we met a couple weeks back during one of the Saturday lunches. Mark was showing me around the Cable facility. Anyway, I had fun and decided to join Chapter 448. I sent in an application this week.

Hey Pete,

Welcome to 448! We have another guy in the chapter from LN who told me he wants to form a carpool if you start hanging out at Cable on Saturdays.

Yes, you met Robert. You were drooling all over his project! :D

Lunch at Cable

Welcome to 448! We have another guy in the chapter from LN who told me he wants to form a carpool if you start hanging out at Cable on Saturdays.

Mark-

Carpooling up to Cable now and again sounds like a good idea. I enjoyed lunch, and having another go would be great.

Hi Pete, glad you joined the 448. Come by the hanger if you need more inspiration.

Scott,

As far as the procedure of getting the motor ready I'll try to detail in order as best as my memory will allow. Take into consideration that fuel tanks had been flushed and flow confirmed at Carb.

1. Checked mag timing.
2. Verified LS was firing on correct coil. This was done by waving a magnet in front of each pickup before installing the prop. ( Timing per LS instruction to be done later) My LS pickup, (case mounted) and magnets were installed at Aerosport. Prop/spinner installed.
3. Gap and Installed top plugs.
4. Drained preservative oil.
5. Installed quick release drain.
6. Added engine oil. Note: measured oil level on the stick for later marking. Put in 6 quarts. (( checked oil level next day after pre-oiling and found level to be lower. Take this into consideration before marking your stick.))
7. With lower plugs removed, disconnected the oil pressure line at the sender and rotated the prop by hand until oil gushed forth. This was a little messy. Be ready with the rags. Not sure on the number of turns but my arm was getting a little tired. Re-connected fitting.
8. Gap and installed lower plugs.
9. Made check list for starting procedure and items to test. For this run I had clecoed the top Fwd skin on and duck taped the windscreen in and full radio stack in place. I was mainly worried about noise on the radios from the Alt. or ? while the engine was running. My panel is packed and lost of wires in the back. Didn't want to go trouble shooting or have to re-route wires laying on my back. Glad to report comm was noise free.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Back