What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First AOG Event

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
So the family and I planned to take the RV-10 to Ft Lauderdale/Pompano as its first "family trip". We departed into the cold on the Monday after Christmas.

Of course, the airplane broke on the first stop - Palatka, FL. My first AOG away from home in 30 years of flying and (obviously) the first one with the whole family in tow. What are the chances?

We'd refueled ($4.50ish fuel), the airplane started fine and then the mag check failed. The left mag was inop. In hindsight, I'd noticed a modest EGT jump in cruise about halfway along during that leg of the flight. I assume that's when the mag failed but I didn't pick up on it at the time.

We taxied back to the ramp where I pulled the top cowl and sent SWMBO and our son to find a warm place to hang out and something to eat. In the meantime, I checked to see if there was anything obviously amiss with the wiring in and around the mag. Nope.

So I prowled the airport looking for help and was eventually pointed to Warren Cilliers, who runs a maintenance shop on the field that seems to specialize in high end aerobatic aircraft, although he was doing a Waco prebuy when I interrupted him. He was kind enough to drop what he'd been doing and spend a couple of hours troubleshooting, removing, and rebuilding the mag, which had a couple of internal problems that he was able to rectify pretty quickly. We (he) reinstalled it and the RV-10, chock full of Boatright family was back on its way. I was very fortunate to find willing and able maintenance when I really needed it. It would have been a real downer for the first family trip to turn into 3 days of hanging around Palatka waiting on a mag or mag parts.

The cherry on top of the day was the rotten weather when we arrived in South Florida. The last 20 miles or so were crummy VFR with extremely variable ceilings and rain. Yuck.

There was a bright spot that evening. The folks at Sheltair in Pompano were very helpful in helping us park, unload, secure the airplane, take stuff to the rental car, etc. Excellent service there in the rain and after sunset.

We came home (Pompano, FL to Cartersville, GA) on Wednesday, non-stop with a tailwind. About 3:20 from engine start to being parked in front of the hangar. Much less stressful than being AOG halfway to the destination.

Kyle----did you determine what failed in the Mag, and how many hours did it have in use? Just curious--

Tom

Kyle----did you determine what failed in the Mag, and how many hours did it have in use? Just curious--

Tom

Sure. The mag had about 75 hours after overhaul. There were several discrepancies:

- There are two metal wedges which secure componentry inside the mag. One was loose and rattling around inside the case. Best guess is it grounded something out and was the reason the mag stopped firing.

Beyond that:

- One of the blade connections inside the mag was very loose. You could use very slight finger pressure to slide the connector back and forth (or off) the tab.

- The internal cam was pretty worn. I don't have an eye for that, but have no reason to doubt the diagnosis.

- One of the set screws that holds the internal workings of the mag to the case was loose. It allowed the internal workings of the mag to rotate back and forth a few degrees, probably changing the timing of the mag.

The mag had about 75 hours after overhaul. There were several discrepancies:

An “Overhaul”?
Sounds more like it got a lick & a promise & a pencil whip.

So the family and I planned to take the RV-10 to Ft Lauderdale/Pompano as its first "family trip". We departed into the cold on the Monday after Christmas.

Of course, the airplane broke on the first stop - Palatka, FL. My first AOG away from home in 30 years of flying and (obviously) the first one with the whole family in tow. What are the chances?

We'd refueled ($4.50ish fuel), the airplane started fine and then the mag check failed. The left mag was inop. In hindsight, I'd noticed a modest EGT jump in cruise about halfway along during that leg of the flight. I assume that's when the mag failed but I didn't pick up on it at the time.

We taxied back to the ramp where I pulled the top cowl and sent SWMBO and our son to find a warm place to hang out and something to eat. In the meantime, I checked to see if there was anything obviously amiss with the wiring in and around the mag. Nope.

So I prowled the airport looking for help and was eventually pointed to Warren Cilliers, who runs a maintenance shop on the field that seems to specialize in high end aerobatic aircraft, although he was doing a Waco prebuy when I interrupted him. He was kind enough to drop what he'd been doing and spend a couple of hours troubleshooting, removing, and rebuilding the mag, which had a couple of internal problems that he was able to rectify pretty quickly. We (he) reinstalled it and the RV-10, chock full of Boatright family was back on its way. I was very fortunate to find willing and able maintenance when I really needed it. It would have been a real downer for the first family trip to turn into 3 days of hanging around Palatka waiting on a mag or mag parts.

The cherry on top of the day was the rotten weather when we arrived in South Florida. The last 20 miles or so were crummy VFR with extremely variable ceilings and rain. Yuck.

There was a bright spot that evening. The folks at Sheltair in Pompano were very helpful in helping us park, unload, secure the airplane, take stuff to the rental car, etc. Excellent service there in the rain and after sunset.

We came home (Pompano, FL to Cartersville, GA) on Wednesday, non-stop with a tailwind. About 3:20 from engine start to being parked in front of the hangar. Much less stressful than being AOG halfway to the destination.

Warren Cilliers is THE BEST!!! He was the lead tech at Southeast Aero (the US Extra dealer at the time) and crew chief for Michael Goulian during the Red Bull Air Races. The top aerobatic competitors in the country trust their airplanes with Warren. And at least one middle of the road competitor has his airplane there... Did you say hello to my Extra? It was the bright red one with all the stickers. He's finishing up the annual on my airplane. He takes great care of it!

Sheltair at PMP is a superb FBO too. I am a semi regular customer of theirs.

Glad you found the right help and got to enjoy the rest of your trip!

Warren Cilliers is THE BEST!!!

Agree. Super nice and knowledgeable guy.

Did you say hello to my Extra? It was the bright red one with all the stickers.

N9---T maybe? Black stripe down the side? If that's it, I've got a picture of it in its underwear!

Sheltair at PMP is a superb FBO too. I am a semi regular customer of theirs.

Glad you found the right help and got to enjoy the rest of your trip!

Me too. Saved what could have been a bad experience for everyone.

And more words to satisfy the post filter.

It's N911CG. Hopefully its private parts were covered! You can say this is RV related since it's how I got started down this path.

Attachments

• IMG_7081.jpg
    IMG_7081.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 181
Spare mag

Kyle,

I swapped out my mags in my Rocket for P-Mags a few months ago, so the normal mags are just sitting around. What type of mags do you have? Slicks or Bendix’s? I have two inpulsed mags with about 25 hours on them.

If interested in a spare, email me at hr2 [email protected].

Brian

mag

Was the other mag OH as well. With as MANY hits as this one took with a competent guy doing the job, I might feel concerned about the other one.

Sure. The mag had about 75 hours after overhaul. There were several discrepancies:

- There are two metal wedges which secure componentry inside the mag. One was loose and rattling around inside the case. Best guess is it grounded something out and was the reason the mag stopped firing.

Beyond that:

- One of the blade connections inside the mag was very loose. You could use very slight finger pressure to slide the connector back and forth (or off) the tab.

- The internal cam was pretty worn. I don't have an eye for that, but have no reason to doubt the diagnosis.

- One of the set screws that holds the internal workings of the mag to the case was loose. It allowed the internal workings of the mag to rotate back and forth a few degrees, probably changing the timing of the mag.

Definitely find a new shop, as that was VERY poor workmanship. The wedges hold the coil in place and require a bit of skill to get set right, clearly your guy didn't have that skill or just didn't care. Those wedges force the coils metal bar against the case and this is how they get the ground for the primary winding; Once loose, the coil cannot collect energy on the primary winding and no spark. Loose fastons are typical. Whenever they come off, it is critical to observe how they go back on and do a slght adjustment with pliers to make them tight again. Worn cams rarely create issues AS LONG AS the shop properly set the egap to offset that wear. Given the other issues, not sure I would trust that. There are two screws that hold the points in place and hold their position after adjustment. I am sure this is what they left loose and would cause the egap to drift and this also creates a no spark scenario. That is three strikes against that shop and suggest you never go back.

If that shop did both mags, I would absolutely have someone go through the other one, as a repeat performance is likely in your future.

Last edited:
Palatka

Hey Kyle, Yep the folks at Kay Larkin are very hospitable. I have been helping an old friend rewire his C-140 over the past several years. Unfortunately I had to attend his Military Funeral last Wednesday in Jax National Cemetery. Glad you had the good fortune to get back in the air pretty quick.
See you at HBC Oshkosh next year...:)

Mag

Incredibly lucky to find someone who could repair a mag. That is a lost art along with many other aviation talents.

Back