What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First annual is due!

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
I am about to begin my first annual and was hoping one or more of you out there with a lot of experience would have and be willing to share with me your list of items to check during this inspection.

I believe there are a few AD's as well especially fwd. of the firewall. One I know about is the mufler inspection under the cabin heat shroud, probably others of which I am not aware.

Please post here or send me a PM. Any and all help and advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Airworthiness Directives. There's a searchable database of them so you can see if any of your installed equipment needs to be replaced or repaired or other action taken. I don't know about their regulatory application outside of the US but it would probably be a wise idea to keep up with them in any case.

Started our annual today. So far we found four items that required service.
(1) One of the exhaust shock mounts, the adel clamp slid on the engine mount and the tubing slid out of the hose.
(2) Noticed a faint smell of fuel after opening up the pilot side under the seat cover. No fuel in that compartment but found fuel stain on the fitting that goes into the right side fuel finger strainer.
(3) Same compartment, the through bolt in the gear leg (landing gear mount bracket) was not up to torque. Required about 1/2 turn to be torqued up.
(4) And most serious, two 3/8" bolts on the wing attach bolts, were not bottomed out. We had already checked the torque and they were all OK, but I noticed the bolt heads were not flat against the spar. We thought that perhaps the threads had bottomed out. These bolts have a round recess in the heads , and I have a round head punch so I tried lightly tapping the heads. I was amazed that the torque did not pull these heads up tight against the spar. We also could not believe we had not noticed this before.

The search continues tomorrow.
Ron

Back