What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall spacers for engine mount

WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
Drawing 61 shows 6 spacer washers 1/8 thick that are 1 1/4 diameter, with 3/8 inside hole required for the 6 mounting holes on the engine mount. I can undertand shimming to fill a gap on any given mounting location that stands out, but I'm confused why or if every location needs to be bumped out 1/8 inch with these spacers. What am I missing?

Wendell, I believe those are 6 washers that are welded to the engine mount and are part of the mount. :)

Thanks Pat

Now that you said that I see DWG 61 is showing the construction of the mount. Duh..... :)

However you might want to make some custom spacers for the lower, inner two mounts.

The welding of the mount can distort this area and I personally like to assemble stuff with no built-in stresses. I think I ended up with shims in the 0.040 range

Oh, I made custom spacers all right.....

Made 6 nice 1/8 thick custom spacers because I couldn't find the darn things in any of the remaining Vans bags or my cabinet. Maybe I should have asked the question first, eh? Guess what happens when you're trying to hold the spacer still while you drill the center hole? Bandaids helped. :)

However you might want to make some custom spacers for the lower, inner two mounts.

The welding of the mount can distort this area and I personally like to assemble stuff with no built-in stresses. I think I ended up with shims in the 0.040 range

My mount didn't require any spacers. Probably hit and miss.

No spacers required for mine either.

Got it mounted and other than walking a couple pre-drilled holes over about 1/8 inch to reach the full 3/8 diameter, it laid flat to the firewall at all mounting holes. Maybe I'll use the 6 spacers I made as part of a modern checker game. :)

Back