What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Sealing and Sound Proofing Questions

civengpe

Well Known Member
What is the consensus of the group on which sealant to use between the skins and the firewall? I have read the sticky on this topic, but am more confused than before. Is the 3M Fire Barrier OK for this? Will it work for well for the other sealing that needs to be done? I really like the idea of being able to run down to Home Depot for the stuff.

Also, what would you recommend for sound/heat barrier material under the sub floor & sides? I don't mind cutting pieces to fit, but would really like to avoid anything that requires mixing & spraying if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Shannon Hicks

I did not put any type of fire retardant between the skins and the firewall. Maybe I should have. I used the red high temp 3M sealant for the prop governor recess. Any other time that I have to add to the firewall or make a hole, I will use the red sealant.

As for the sound proofing/sound barrier, I went to AS and got the 1/4" rubbery sound proofing material. Seems to be very light weight with adhesive on one side.

What is the consensus of the group on which sealant to use between the skins and the firewall? I have read the sticky on this topic, but am more confused than before. Is the 3M Fire Barrier OK for this? Will it work for well for the other sealing that needs to be done? I really like the idea of being able to run down to Home Depot for the stuff.

Also, what would you recommend for sound/heat barrier material under the sub floor & sides? I don't mind cutting pieces to fit, but would really like to avoid anything that requires mixing & spraying if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Shannon Hicks

Van's sells a firewall sealant. You do want to seal the gap between the skins and the firewall to minimized the risk of CO.

You need to re-read the thread. The 3m product at Home depot isn't the same stuff as ACS sells.

I wouldn't use the 3M fire barrier, since it expands as it gets hot. You wouldn't want skins and rivets to be popping in an emergency situation. It would be a good solution to seal after the firewall and skins have be riveted.

Consensus? :p

We carry several items that are popular, inexpensive and reasonably effective at heat rejection and sound deadening. They will look good, last forever, and not break your wallet.

Notice that I didn't say "fireproof" anywhere in that paragraph. If you want fireproof, never put fuel or oil in your airplane.

Heat and sound products

Back