What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall recess

Dorfie

Well Known Member
There are three pre-drilled holes in the recess for the throttle, mixture and prop cables. They are fairly close to each other which will make the installation of steel grommets difficult.
What have you done with this? Which grommets did you use?
How much "spare" room does one have in the recess once engine mount, nose wheel and engine is installed. Are you limited to the area of the pre-drilled holes, or can one arrange things around in the recess a bit. (I am not sure what it looks like once everything is installed)
Thanks.
Johan

I ignored the three holes and mounted 4 spherical grommets from spruce. I mounted these starting from the right hand side of the recess.

This is an area where I would recommend not following the plans.

Determine your choice of firewall penetrations. Then install them with appropriate spacing in the same general area. The plan holes are too close together for most of the other options.

Btw, I just posted in the forsale section some stainless eyeballs penetrations .

Here is mine:
FP28052011A000GC.jpg

And here is a link to my Kitlog Entry. One footnote I'd add, now that the fuselage has the engine mount installed, I'd have inverted the group of penetrations or lowered the entire group by an inch or so. Now I have to aim the cables to dodge the mount.

Thanks for all the replies

I now have pretty good understanding of the space available and where to place the penetrations.
Much appreciated.
Johan

Back