What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Recess, When to install

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
In the directions it says to leave out the firewall recess until later to make it easier to install the rudder pedal brace and other inside stuff. Earlier in the directions is says you can either mount the flanges of the recess on the forward side of the firewall or in between the stiffeners and the firewall for a cleaner look. I opted for between the stiffeners and now don't see how I am going to assemble the firewall without riveting the recess in at the same time which will make it tough to install the rudder brace. I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

I guess I will also have to finally decide on an interior color since the braces on the firewall will have to be primed and painted if I want them to match everything else.

Last edited:
Jim, does it really matter whether you put it in between stiffener and firewall or on top (from a construction standpoint)? I'd think it should fit the same either way.. I don't know how you'd rivet the rudder pedal brace with the recess installed...

I'm putting it on top.. (and I haven't even riveted it in yet).. You'd probably want to do it after rudder pedals are in and you got some wiring done etc.. but before putting the engine mount on... so it's at a pretty late stage overall.. That recess hole is pretty handy for reaching in.

PS. It may be a lot easier to rivet the two platenuts that hold the adel clamps for oil pressure hose before you put the recess on.

HTH

WIAT!!!

If I had a dollor for every time I put my hand through the firewall recess hole I could have paid for my Lycoming!

That access was very helpful to me in wiring, plumbing, picking up dropped stuff passing tools through. I did not rivet it in place until just before final engine hang and I recomend that you hold off until then.

Good luck,

Duane

9A finish kit

I guess the flange will have to show on the engine side of the firewall then. It sure would look better the other way though.

Jim,

I suggest you keep it open until just before you hang the engine. Then when you get to that point, look at all the FWF drawings and look for plate nuts and other holes that will have to go through the FW before hanging the engine.

There are two plate nuts at the top of that hole that can be drilled out and have their plate nuts installed before closing, same with the plate nut needed to hold the crank case breather line, and a few other items.

Good luck.

I'm sure glad I didn't go ahead and install it at this point. I'll be thanking all of you several times before I hang my engine.

rv9aviator said:
I guess I will also have to finally decide on an interior color since the braces on the firewall will have to be primed and painted if I want them to match everything else.
I don't think the pedal brace is visible from the cockpit.

Agree with the other comments about leaving the recess out until you hang the engine.

Back