What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall recess alignment RV-7

kevinsrv7.com

Well Known Member
Has anyone had problems with there firewall recess box, pre punched holes 6ea. not aligning on the upper ends of each corner with the firewall? Not even close here! The rest of the box is on the money. I think the punch machine had a few to many punches that day.
Much appreciated.

Kevin,

I have heard of some people having alignment issues. I think these things are all made from the same press so the variable is the person who assembles them!

Mine, fit with some finagling. Keep in mind, you will be sealing these things up with goop anyways soooo... how perfect need it be?

Lemme have a look at it and see just how bad yours is. It can't be much worse than mine!

Besides, can I have your lower auxillary longerons until my replacements arrive?

:D CJ

I had the same problem with mine. I ended up opening the top few holes out to 1/8th. This solved the problem and it still looks factory standard.

It's another Vanism that will never be rectified. Try slotting the side offenders a bit with a needle file to better center with the stiffener pre-punched holes which don't deserve to be punished because of the recess' error. The top holes should align well enough. You also can c/s and fill the mismatched stiffener holes with rivets to nowhere, then match drill new holes in between.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Back