What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall penetration locations for a RV-7A

I have already drilled firewall penetrations per the drawings for throttle cable, etc. I also need penetrations for engine instruments and thermocouples, plus a few other wires (mostly from the ignition switch). I can ensure that they don't conflict with the engine mounting bracket. Any other advice on best location for new FW penetrations? I want to avoid baffles, etc.

This is going to be somewhat specific to your installation, but I ran all that stuff through two 1" firewall passthroughs up high on the passenger side. One was for power wires and the other was for sensor wires. If you go this route you have to make sure they don't interfere with the brake reservoir or getting your battery out of the box if it's on the same side.

You might also consider running a few extra wires through and just capping them off for stuff you haven't thought of or might want add in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_8840.jpeg
    IMG_8840.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
All the Vans penetrations were pretty accurate. If you have the elastomeric nose gear, a couple holes are slightly different. Study plans carefully. The mixture cable goes through the recess.

I didn't care for the starter contactor and fuel line. Granted, it's only hot when energized, but it's really close.

Wire paths. Same here. One each side up high. One for power. On for signals.

As far as the battery box, do yourself a favor and cut the front off then install hinge each side. Add a 1/8" or so of space at the same time. R&R of the battery is so easy. Pull the pins and the front comes off then the battery comes right out.

Check your electronics for specific components like ANLs, Shunts, etc.

Back