What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

firewall penetration & fuel return

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
OK I'll admit I'm search function challenged

I'm working on my firewall, and need to punch a hole for AFP return line.

Can some let me know where to punch this hole?

somewhere around the top right of the engine that you can get a fairly straight shot.

Thats what I did

Brian,

I'd wait until you have your engine mounted and most of your tubes and control cables ran. It is pretty easy to put a hole and doubler in the firewall after the fact (well not as easy as when the engine isn't there, but still not difficult). That way you won't be dealing with any potential interference issues.

ok I'll wait until the engine is mounted. good chance it will be coming off at some point anyway. I just thought there may be a standard location that was easy to do right now. Spending a lot of time on the firewall these days...mostly staring at it:confused:thinking about electrical at the same time.:eek:

side note: my electrical engineer came over today and gave me his blessing on my electrical drawing.:) until we got distracted by the Big Brown propeller delivery service.

RV-7build305.jpg

2nd Attempt

Hi Brian,

I responded earlier today but the post didn't show up. So, here goes again:

abf.jpg

abe.jpg

I moved the pass-throughs upward and away from the contactors just a bit. I'm in the "final" steps of FWF and everything in that area (alternator/starter wires, SCAT, fuel lines) are fitting well.

Nice looking prop, BTW.

Last edited:
Thanks David. I've already got the fuel supply and doubler in the factory location. No room for the return with the starter contactor that close. So I'll just wait few more weeeks to get the engine in place.

Thanks David. I've already got the fuel supply and doubler in the factory location. No room for the return with the starter contactor that close. So I'll just wait few more weeeks to get the engine in place.

Try here, I'm not using the double plate for the AUX, and it fits it you measure very carefully.

23mo58l.jpg

2vimop0.jpg

51o582.jpg

Last edited:
Back