What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall passthroughs?

gfb

Well Known Member
Trying to figure out the firewall passthroughs I will need for my RV-9A / IO-340 (FP prop.) Do any come with the Vans FW-FWD kit?

Looking at the Cleaveland options. I know I need two of the stainless passthrough kits (SA-05) for sensor wires, etc. I suspect I also need a number of eyeballs for control cables? Seems like they have Alum or steel? Also a different model but I can't quite figure out the differences or which ones to get (and how many.)
FPT1S or FPT1 or FPTTTP? I suspect Throttle, Mixture, Heater, Alt Air?

Also, what should I use to make the holes for the above? (and the heater hole.) I have seen people mention special mandrels that make those larger holes but they are quite pricey for something I will use once or twice per size?

Thanks!

Punch

For the larger holes, like the heater, find an electrician friend who has access to a Greenlee punch tool kit.

...OR find someone with a set of Rotabroach bits. They go thru the stainless firewall like the proverbial hot knife. The Rotabroach set is too pricey to buy; they're only practical if someone will lend them to you.
Some EAA chapters have a tool crib, in which case the Rotabroach set can be used by many.

A more time consuming option: Try drilling a lot of #40 holes around the perimeter of the desired opening, then use a rotary cutter to remove the material between the holes. I know, it's a lot of drilling through steel, but a good bit with lubrication should make it slightly less onerous.

A more time consuming option: Try drilling a lot of #40 holes around the perimeter of the desired opening, then use a rotary cutter to remove the material between the holes. I know, it's a lot of drilling through steel, but a good bit with lubrication should make it slightly less onerous.
I did it this way too. I figured it was easier than chasing down a punch.

I bought a set of punches from Harbor Freight and they worked just fine for the passthroughs (including all of the control cables).

Use a unibit to get the initial 3/4" hole started, then use the punch to enlarge this to 1 1/8" for the pass throughs. I used a 1" diameter pass through from Safeair1.com (no longer available).

IMG_3166-M.jpg

Unibits seem to work well on stainless. HF has a cheap set of three and the big one goes to 1.5", I believe. For the big heater hole, I roughed out the hole with a cut-off wheel and finished it with a carbide bit on the die grinder. Only took 20 minutes.

Larry

Digidocs,
Do you know the spacing of the mounting holes on that firewall pass-thru? I have the older stainless steel grommet covers and would be interested in switching them out if the mounting bolt patterns matched.

-Jerald

Back