What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall "oilcaning"

Lew Danforth

I'm New Here
My rv4's firewall down by the left gear leg attach point has begun to oilcan and make noise when i taxi over bumps, not large ones either. Not allways, but is getting tiresome. Anybody else out there experienced this? Any ideas how to fix the problem? Thanks! Lew

'

I'd be concerned if it has never done it before and all of a sudden began. In particular, you may want to carefully inspect the weldments on the interior four corners of the firewall.

I'd be concerned if it has never done it before and all of a sudden began. In particular, you may want to carefully inspect the weldments on the interior four corners of the firewall.

Especially the lower weldments. Another couple symptoms of a cracked weldment on an RV-4 include an increase of engine/prop vibration felt thru the plane while in flight despite a dynamic prop balance job done on the ground showing near perfect balance. Also does the spinner position against the cowl show any sign of the engine sagging down a wee bit?

And BTW, I just noticed this is your first post....

Welcome to the VAF Forums, Lew!

Last edited:
Back