What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall mounted oil cooler

7DeltaLima

Well Known Member
Anyone used the VA-186 oil cooler box that is used for the firewall mount of the oil cooler in the -10 on the 7A. I'm going to move the oil cooler off the baffles on the 7A and onto the firewall. I've got 750 hrs on the 7A and this is the second time that the baffle has cracked so I'm going to move it. The engine is a IO360A1B6 and tends to kick out a little more heat and I'm using a larger than std oil cooler so don't think the baffle is ever going to hold up for the long term.

Anyway, I'm building a -10 and working on the baffles and it looks like this oil cooler mount would be a good alternative to fabricating something for the 7A. I can look/measure the 7A in the next day or two but thought if anyone's already "been-there-done-that" and it worked, I'll order the parts and make the change asap.

If anyone's done this, did you also need a longer oil line... The -10 fwf kit has a VA-190 27inch line...
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
I put the 20006A oil cooler on the firewall of my 7. The VA-186 mount would not fit in mine but it might on your 7A because there is no gear mount to interfere. Using this set up lowered my temps around 20 degrees. I happened to read ECI's firewall forward instructions and the 20006A cooler was one of the recommended coolers. Don

Not a 7 but,

I used the RV 10 cooler and mount in my RV8. I did not use the mount in its stock configuration though. It was an excellent start to be modified for my use.

Basically I mounted the cooler to the firewall with a couple of aluminum angles. Then modified the RV 10 mount to sit on top of the cooler. The only trouble I've had with this setup is the round ring for the duct broke where it was welded to the mount after 40 hours. The one I had was just fusion welded to the mount. Van's now welds them using filler rod to create a true weld(more strength in the weld). I had to reweld mine and has been fine since.

I have a Lycoming IO-360M1B and using this cooler and duct arrangement my oil temps are always between 180 and 195, even on the hottest days.

I'll see if I can find a photo to post.

Ted

124-2405_IMG-1.jpg

121-2148_IMG.jpg

Last edited:
So, Ted: what parts?

Hi Ted,

I am building an RV 8 and have been scratching my head about the oil cooler mounting issue. I built a 4" scat output into the back of #4 baffle but haven't sorted out where to put the cooler. I have a SW 8402R cooler. Is the mounting kit of which you speak Van's part number VA 186? There is not much documentation on Van's site about what this part is. I would assume it is the plenum that takes a 4" hose and spreads it over the front of the cooler. I have been working with building this out of fiberglass but my first couple of tries have been pretty dismal.

I don't suppose you could tell me the measurements of VA 186, is that is what you used? A picture would also be worth a few thousand posts...

Thanks

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA

Picture posted

I used the 2006A cooler and the VA-186 firewall mounting frame, a VA-187 baffle duct. If you look at my previous post I have posted a picture.

Ted

Back