What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall layout

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the DWG number for the firewall layout for the RV-7A (not DWG 19).

I got a stack of plans for FF from Van's and while it has a really nice DWG for the Rv-8 included (OP-34), which tells me EXACTLY where the transducer manifold is mounted, there is nothing to so indicate on an RV-7/7A. OP-32 has a drawing showing where the AN833-6D bulkhead fitting location is (the same with OP-28 on a carbureted engine) and by it I can kind of guess where to mount it -- just by counting along the rivet line in the drawing (and I assume the hardware is the same as the RV-8 drawing), but it's odd that there isn't a specific location called out on the plans I have.

Also, it would be really cool if someone would put together an index of all the OP drawings Van's has available. Or maybe someone already has.

It's been a while (and I'll look at the plans to make sure), but my recollection is just as you described. You have to kind of piece it together based on the different plans.

I guess that'll work. It looks like a matter of just counting over 3 rivets from the gusset plate and kind of fit it in line with between #3 and #4.

Makes me nervous cutting through the firewall though.

OH, one other question. In looking at the instructions for the oil cooler installation, it appears that the top corner rivets on the recess are enlarged to a #12 (well, it doesn't LOOK that way, it actually says that.). I'm close to sealing up that recess and am looking on the plans (and not finding the answer) as to whether the clamps that attach there are held in place with a nut on the cabin side, or are we to put a nut plate in that location.

Which reminds me, I wish I could find my nutplate jig. If those aren't in the top 5 of handiest tools, I don't know what is.

Unless I'm just not understanding your question...

Bob-
I think you already have the needed DWG. There is a diagram on the right hand side OP-32 that shows the exact pre-punched hole that you need to use to locate the VA-168 transducer manifold and what hardware to use. OP-28 shows the same info on the left hand side of the page.

or are we to put a nut plate in that location.

Which reminds me, I wish I could find my nutplate jig. If those aren't in the top 5 of handiest tools, I don't know what is.

answer: nutplate. and your jig is in the last place you'll think to look. check there first.

Hi Bob, what is an OP drawing ? Did Vans ever get that finders fee too you ? Gene

They did, Gene, and thank you very much. It was awfully good of you. OP are drawings that are for...well, I guess I don't know what it stands for OPTIONAL? Things fuel boost pump installation, or various hose runs etc.

If a drawing exists but no one knows about it, is it really there?

How does one know what "OP" drawings are available? They aren't in my preview plans. I did order the FF plans so I have some of them, but I have the feeling that there are more?

I wish Vans would make more data available to builders online.... like electronic lists of drawings, searchable parts lists by models, OP drawings, that sort of thing. Oh well, nice to dream. Back to my next Aircraft Spruce order...

OP drawings

Too bad there isn't a drawing showing the firewall with everything in place.
It's kind of hard to visualise how it all goes together. I've just installed my gascolator (it's tough being canadian) and realised the fuel lines are really close to the master and starter relays. Might need to rethink that one.

The 'OP-' List

The 'OP' drawings are associated with 'Optional Part' subkits that have been created along the way during the developmental history the various models. They can be purchased from Vans for $3 each (unless otherwise shown) and are included with the various subkits.

ALL OP DWG INDEX

DWG OP-1 ELEC. AIL. TRIM -8/8A
DWG OP-10 ELEC. SYS DWG 6/7/8/9
DWG OP-11 WIRING HARN INST 8/8A
DWG OP-12 HARNESS INSTRC 6/7/9
DWG OP-13 CAP FUEL QTY SENDER-9
DWG OP-14 INTCM BLOCK DIAGRAM
DWG OP-15 MAP BOX ALL PLANES
DWG OP-2 REAR SEAT THROTTLE -8
DWG OP-21 F.I. PUMP INSTALL -7
DWG OP-23 INTCM INSTALL DIAGRAM
DWG OP-25 TIP UP CANOPY BRACE