What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Insulation: Tac Mat

eatenbyagrue

Hi All,

My Quickbuild arrives in 2 weeks, so I was really interested to read about firewall insulation in the Rvator's Log posted recently. Sounds like Stein used Dynamat Extreme to good effect.... after a bit of research, looks like great stuff, but not as fire resistant as I think I'd like on the firewall. A bit more research and I found the same company sells something called Tac Mat... not quite as sound deadening as the layer of sticky rubber Dynamat has, but meets FAR flammability regs. http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_tac_mat.html

Curious, has anyone here on the boards used Tac Mat in their build? It looks like you need spray glue to install... what kind would make sense on the firewall?

Thanks
Josh

Dynamat

Josh
While I didnt use Dynamat or Tac Mat, I did use a similar generic product from the construction or roofing industry. Its a foil backed adhesive rubber sheet that appears to be the same as Dynamat in all but the labelling and the price. $30 for 30'x10" at my local building supply store. I did instal this product on the firewall but only after a 1/2" layer of ceramic fiber blanket encapsulated in foil. I did this only after flame testing. Un shielded Dynamat or equivalent will burn and smoke vigorously! I suggest destructive testing before you instal any product on the firewall. Your risk tolerance may vary from mine. If you have not already done so, please read Dan Horton's post on testing products for use on the firewall.

Matt

My Quickbuild arrives in 2 weeks, so I was really interested to read about firewall insulation in the Rvator's Log posted recently. Sounds like Stein used Dynamat Extreme to good effect.... after a bit of research, looks like great stuff, but not as fire resistant as I think I'd like on the firewall.

For sure.

A bit more research and I found the same company sells something called Tac Mat... not quite as sound deadening as the layer of sticky rubber Dynamat has, but meets FAR flammability reg

Data sheet says it meets FAR 25.855(a-1), and FAR 25.853(b) and (b-3). You want to read those sections before assuming you can stick it to a firewall. Good sidewall insulation however.

For a firewall you want to see "Meets FAR 23.853(f)"

The rest of the story...

Josh,
Dan Horton is just too modest. He has done more firewall insulation research than just about anybody on the forum. At least as far as heat/flame protection. Sound deadening is certainly important but as Dan has pointed out, be careful about what you put where. Please check this thread for more info on the subject. There's tons of good info... Welcome to the club & good luck on your build!

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47587

FWIW....

I had sound/heat absorbing material on my -6 firewall and my -10 has nothing. With ANR headsets, I can't tell any difference between the two airplanes....neither is quiet enough to not wear headsets.

In the future, I'd save the time and money and not use any.

Best,

Back