What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

firewall holes and priming

Jeff R

Well Known Member
I started working on the fuse kit over the weekend and have a couple of questions.

One, there are a number of holes that one can drill out for the throttle (2 possible locations, one for carb or one for FI), carb heat, etc. I am thinking of going with a fuel injection system, so I would not need a hole for the carb heat. However, if good deal on a carb. system presents itself, I will go use it. So, should I drill the holes that I might use now, or should I wait until later and now only drill out only the ones that I know I will need?

As for priming, since the firewall is stainless steel, I would assume that it is not necessary to prime it. However, on the aft side, it does come in contact with aluminum, so to help provide galvanic isolation, it would seem logical to prime the aft side, along with the aluminum. Am I correct?

Thanks. And thanks to Mike for taking me on my first RV ride in his 6A today at the pancake breakfast. I know now what that RV grin is all about!

I'd hold off on those holes if you're thinking of F.I. No reason you can't drill them later from the forward side.

"You Can't Undrill a Hole!"

Goes along with "Never rivet 'till you have to, never cut 'till you have to, never drill 'till you have to..." This philosophy saves on re-ordering parts!

Taught to me by the great ones...

Paul

No need to prime

I wouldn't prime the stainless steel. The faying surface with the side skins are not an issue if you proseal the joint (which is recommended to keep out eingine fumes).

-rob

Back