What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall fwd sequence

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Just finished section 46. Next is prop, then exhaust, cooling system, and controls. Having worked around airplanes for a while I find I am one who has a tendancy to bang head into prop blades. Seems to me the prop should be the last step in finishing. I defer to you who have already completed, or nearly completed their 12. Is there any reason switching prop to last step creates any build problems? I can't see any, but I have been wrong many times. Thanks for your feedback.
Dick

Just finished section 46. Next is prop, then exhaust, cooling system, and controls. Having worked around airplanes for a while I find I am one who has a tendancy to bang head into prop blades. Seems to me the prop should be the last step in finishing. I defer to you who have already completed, or nearly completed their 12. Is there any reason switching prop to last step creates any build problems? I can't see any, but I have been wrong many times. Thanks for your feedback.
Dick

Hi Dick,

The best reason to have the prop and spinner on the plane is to protect the pitot tube, if you bang into prop blades you will probably break the pitot tube if it is not protected.

Best regards,
Vern

My method

I fitted the pitot and prop, then took them BOTH off until it was time to actually test it. You are right, it is in the way. I left the foot steps off too. I didn't install them until AFTER inspection. Why hurt yourself on such stuff.

John Bender

Even when you have the prop and spinner on put a piece of rubber foam or something on the pitot tube until you are ready for final assembly. That thing will leave a mark!

Back