What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall fuel/ Superior IO-360?

Tbone

Well Known Member
Haven't a clue where to run the fuel line from the airflow boost pump to the firewall location. I'm setup with the normal setup for fuel injection system but not sure to where to go, as far as location, with the firewall penetration area. RV7, Superior IO-360 with horizontal intake, no gascolator. Any suggestions or pics?

I you have Van's drawing, they suggest a location and it is a pretty darn good one. If you look at the FWF from the engine side, it is 1 11/32 to the right of the tunnle and 4 1/2 below the recess part that is for the oil filter.

Firewall penetration

I penetrated the firewall in the middle of the electric fuel pump mounting plate (originally planned for an 0-360). Used an 90 degree elbow fitting through the firewall (elbow on the cockpit side)
Fuel Line FWF.jpg

Used on of Van's FWF hoses to the engine driven fuel pump. I have a an Superior IO-360 with vertical induction on my RV-7A.

Hope this helps.

Anti-rotation?

I penetrated the firewall in the middle of the electric fuel pump mounting plate (originally planned for an 0-360). Used an 90 degree elbow fitting through the firewall (elbow on the cockpit side)
Fuel Line FWF.jpg

Used on of Van's FWF hoses to the engine driven fuel pump. I have a an Superior IO-360 with vertical induction on my RV-7A.

Hope this helps.

Paul, that looks like a great installation. When I saw your anti-rotation bracket, my first thought was, "Why didn't I do that?" But then I remembered why - with the aluminum tube connected, there is no way that fitting can rotate on that side of the firewall. Or is the intent just to hold it in place so you can really tighten down the retaining nut? That retaining nut on the other side can get loose - I've had mine get loose before. What have guys done to secure that thing, since it's not drilled to be safety-wired? Or could you do that, drill it for safety wire? Some things for TBone to think about, and me too for that matter, since mine is just screwed on real tight - no other safety device to keep it on.

hard tubes fwd of firewall

wasn't there a recent entry on an engine out due to a broken hard tube forward of the firewall?

I do appreciate the replies and the pictures. It looks like that will be the way for me. I do like the anti rotation bracket, I'll be using that one. To those that have used the fuel flow transducer, did you mount it inline between the boost pump and the firewall? I do know that there has been some controvery on that but not sure if I would want to install fwf. Thanks for the great info!

Back