What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Forward Value

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Are people finding value with the stock components in the FF kit or is this another kit that people are making a lot of subtractions or substitutions?

Are people finding value with the stock components in the FF kit or is this another kit that people are making a lot of subtractions or substitutions?

What is your time worth?

Van's FWF kit isn't bad and there are components that "better" can be had from other sources.

I used TS Flightlines and replaced all the FWF hoses. The 77611 exhaust gaskets I got a set in the FWF, with the engine, and with the exhaust. At $54 a set, that could save a few bucks.

I also bought part of the kit in advanced when I was laid off to keep me busy for awhile. I also have a non-standard panel, so all the control cables I got from another source.

Ask about what alternator and prop govenor you are getting. Van's will supply different products depending on their stock. I ended up with a Plane Power 60a alternator and a Hartzell governor.

Email me if you want an excel spreadsheet of all the components.

bob

If you are building exactly per plans I would just purchase the FWF package and be done with it. I don't know if you get any kind of a discount with the package but the convenience of having everything available as you need it is a plus. If you buy the FWF package and end up making any changes you will end up with a bunch of unused Vans parts you will need to return and end up spending more money. Since my V4A5 engine is a bit different than the D4A5, I am piecing the FWF out as I need it.

Back