What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall forward sequence

bob888

Well Known Member
I need some advice about build sequence for the FWF area. I presume the engine and prop need to be mounted before working on the cowling. What about the baffling? Exhaust? Other cables and connections? Should cowl be left to very last thing?

Hang the engine.
Bolt on the prop. (Or something of the same size.)
Fit the cowl xtop and bottom.
Fit the carb or fuel servo
Fit the FAB
Fit the baffles. If you have a snoutless bottom cowl, install these before fitting the FAB.
Install exhaust (don't tighten the nuts because you will take it on and off a few times. Finger tight is good.)
Wire, plumb, etc. The er engine.
Install exhaust for the final time and torque the nuts

That should give you an idea of the sequence.

You can do a lot of the baffles before you hang the engine on the plane, but not the front air ramps or the final trimming. You have to fit the cowl before you trim the baffles and attach baffle seal material.

Do EVERYTHING that bolts or attaches to the firewall before you hang the engine.

Hang the engine
Fit the cowl
Attach accessories to engine including exhaust
Finish baffles
Build FAB and fit to cowl scoop

An add to Jesse's reply.

Insulate the area on the face of the firewall to prevent tunnel heat as discussed in other posts before putting on the motor mount.

Looks like you already have enough advice.

One thing about the exhaust.
I installed it once only and early in the engine installation process and it stays on.
Whatever gets installed must be installed around the exhaust system, it stays where it is and does not get modified and in fact cannot be moved.
You leave it in place for maintenance, so everything that needs service must be accessible with the exhaust system in place.
I agree that many things are easier to work on without the exhaust system in place but this can lead to installations that are inconvenient to service.

Back