What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Forward Kit

It depends...

If you aren't deviating from Van's intended setup at all and using one of their supplied engine configurations, it makes sense to do the FWF kit, but only if you're absolutely sure.

They'll send you an itemized list for the FWF kit you plan to order, and you can add or strike items as necessary.

My configuration is all over the place and I already have a lot of things on the list (exhaust, battery box, baffle kit, misc items), so the kit wasn't a good option for me. However, the list is a good guide for sourcing parts from places other than Van's, or getting a ballpark figure on what things like hoses and other bits and pieces will cost..

For the RV-10 the FWF kit is an excellent and complete package. You can certainly buy hoses from different sources, omit the prop gov if you've already got one, etc. The kit contains all the big parts (oil cooler & mount, prop gov, exhaust, Filtered Air Box,etc) along with virtually all the small parts (hoses, fittings, hardware, etc) and also includes the plans set.

Unlike the 2 place RVs, there's essentially only one supported engine option for the RV-10: a parallel valve 540 size Lycoming. That allows them to put together a more complete package and instruction set.

Bob

Back