What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall flange dimpling?

jmjula

Well Known Member
From those that have been there, are there any problems dimpling the firewall flanges and skins prior to re-assembling the fuselage for riveting? It seems like I could wait to dimple until after the hinges are drilled for the cowling, but then the dimpling will have to be done through the skin and firewall together.

Thanks,
James

Dimple now

Go ahead and dimple the skin and firewall now.

If I could do it again, I would also rivet the hinges before the engine mount is attached to the firewall. Good luck

I was wondering the same thing. But won't the dimples get in the way when trying to position the hinge (or camloc backing strip) on the firewall flange?

Dimpling Firewall

Dave,

Got this tip from my neighbor. On my tip up, I set up the top forward skin and dimpled the firewall and then the top skin. Later I decided to use Skybolt fasteners. Set up the backing plates and countersunk them. When I was ready to rivet the plate to the firewall and top skin I went back and dimpled everything as a unit. This pulled everything into place for a nice tight fit.

I riveted the Skybolts with the mounting plates already rivets in place.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
Inspection Friday!!

Back