What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall F-601J question

JohnR

Well Known Member
On the firewall the two F-601J angles you that you fabricate are show non the plans 3/32 of an inch above the bottom F-601M-1 angles top face. Well I somehow missed this and drilled mine setting on the F601M-1 angle. I have room to remove 3/32 of an inch but then I am afraid I will come up short on the top side later. Anyone have any input on this? I will probably just remake the F-601J but thought I would see if anyone had any other suggestions. Does sometign go in the 3/32 gap later or is it just clearance built in for some other reason?

I think waht got me was the fact they had you round the edge of the F-601J pieces to fit the inside radius of the F-601M-1. Why do that and then set it 3/32 inch above it? :confused:

John, I TOLD you to make these suckers on the big side on the www.rivetbangers.com forum not even a couplah weeks ago!!!

:D

Hahahaha...

Did you LISTEN!?!

:p J/k with ya... here's the dillio...

If the J angles are still like, healthy long (3 1/4" or so) you can trim them down on the belt sander.

Your determining factor will be the top hole's edge distance. If you don't have it, the extra stock from the fuel tank bracket is the same size and you should have enough leftover from fabbing these to squeak out 2 new parts. Do NOT ask me how I know this!

;)

Once they are in place, lay a 3/32" drill bit along the bottom for spacing and drill them in place!

Does that help?

:rolleyes: CJ

Captain_John said:
John, I TOLD you to make these suckers on the big side on the www.rivetbangers.com forum not even a couplah weeks ago!!!
:rolleyes: CJ

Yeah, I know. That is one reason I'm ticked at myself. :mad:

I'm just going to remake them, looks like I have enough material to do so. Nothing like having a few practice parts around. :rolleyes:

Thanks CJ.

Mmmmmmn, the second ones ALWAYS come out nicer than the first!

Those pieces are kinda tricky. Don't beat yourself up too much over them!

:) CJ

John-
Just checked mine. Nothing goes under the big angles. If you can still keep the top edge distance, you should be OK. I had to make one extra as well (w/ the same fuel tank stock CJ mentions), so don't feel too bad. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back