What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall engine bracket holes

I am assembling the firewall and I'm a little confused. Are the 4 larger holes in the 4 corners of the firewall supposed to be enlarged now, along with the corresponding holes in the engine brackets, and if so what size. Thanks

Not yet

I believe these holes are left undersized so they can be match drilled with the engine mount, which may vary a little with hole alignment since it is a weldment.

NOT YET!

Agreed. Do NOT drill those holes out now. Your mount will almost certainly be slightly different than those. What you will have to do when the time comes is slightly shift 3 or more holes one way or another, but you will use the mount to tell you which way and how much. Good luck.

Not Yet = NOT AT ALL?

hecilopter said:
I believe these holes are left undersized so they can be match drilled with the engine mount, which may vary a little with hole alignment since it is a weldment.

I believe they're NOT drilled AT ALL, until later... correct? It's been awhile since firewall construction.

The four holes in the stainless are undersized and are there as a guide to help you align the engine mount. You'll match-drill the engine mount to the firewall sometime after you flip the canoe. Don't drill it now.

Back