What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall bulkhead and the FWD fuselage rib

sahrens

Well Known Member
I am just starting my fuselage and working on the firewall. After finishing the dimpling for all the stiffners I realized there were two rows of rivets not worked on at this stage of the process. Those are the two rows at the top of the firewall used to attach the FWD fuselage ribs. It occurred to me that dimpling these two rows now will be a heck of lot easier than later on in the process. Especially since I can not reach the bottow two rivets with a hand squeezer. Has anyone else drilled these to size and dimpled the rivet holes at this stage? I do not see any problems, but better to ask than create one.

Thanks for you assistance.

Scott Ahrens

Either Way is Fine

I agree, anything you can accurately locate, drill and dimple while it's all apart makes it easier. But you can also do it later on with pop-rivet dimplers. Avery makes them (and probably other suppliers as well) in #30 & #40 sizes for about $20/set, and they come in handy. I've used them on the firewall and on the fuselage where I had to go back and mount an autopilot bracket after the fuselage was built. You might want to get a set with your next toy, uh...I mean tool purchase. :D

Back