What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Battery

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All
I have removed my cowl and wheel pants on my RV4, I need to put some air in the tires and I am going to move my battery to the fire wall. I want to free up the space in the battery well for storage. Does anyone have some pictures of there firewall battery installation?

Dayton,

Here is a picture of the RV-9's battery box.

It is held in place with three AN-3 bolts, each of which pass through some AA on the back side of the firewall.

BTW, those are all standard Van's parts.

battery install

Here is a picture of my install, it seems to be holding up well. it also is an easy spot to access through the oil door. The can is the one they sell with the battery, with some holes cut in it and al angle attached to the bottom and sides.

batteryinstalledbatterytj7.jpg

New Location

Hi All
Here are the results of my efforts over the last week. I moved the battery from the center fuselage to the firewall shelf. The first image is the hole that battery came out of and the last two are of the new location. I have a shafting issue with the mag wires I need to take care of, Other then that I think this will be a better arrangement for the battery.
img0009os6.jpg:

img0012io0.jpg

img0010la6.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, can't see them. It's asking for an id and password. Just curious, did you use blast tubes to cool the battery?

Back