What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Extinguisher Question

To answer your question first- yes the chemical must be thoroughly removed or it will promote corrosion.

The unasked question- do you really want to use this inside the airplane- no. If you discharge this in the cabin it will be disabling to anyone who breathes the powder or gets it in their eyes. Not good for closed quarters. Small Halon extinguishers are better for inside the airplane, IMO.

Going to the next step in this conversation:

If you start shopping for a HALON.........

Don't get the one pictured in this link, The actuator falls off. Really nice in an emergency. :rolleyes:
Not so good one

Get something like this:
Good one

Corrosive. I would not use it.

NOT corrosive and is, in fact, the recommended extinguisher (if you don't use Halon) for aircraft.

*A*-B-C extinguishers are corrosive to aluminum and circuitry (requiring complete disassembly of the vehicle if they're used on it). B-C are not.

A quick search of the forums turns up a lot of info about this.

Corrosive or not, I still wouldn't use it! I've had to clean an a car engine compartment after using one like shown and would not want to do that again.

I do agree that Halon is the extinguisher to use, but I saw this today at Academy and started looking into it. I appreciate feedback.

Corrosive or not, I still wouldn't use it! I've had to clean an a car engine compartment after using one like shown and would not want to do that again.

Well, probably not convenient to clean up, as you say, but that's a far cry from being corrosive.

I have a halon extinguisher in the plane, and one of these B-C models in the hangar (which, despite being there, the airport insisted on mounting their own ABC extinguisher in the hangar, and requires every hangar to have one...sigh...so I put a big NOT FOR USE ON AIRCRAFT label on it :) ).

lots of recent comments.....

not sure of the stats on this, but FWIW, I consider the 2 lb. BC in the baggage compartment for ground use, and that would be .......
engine fire on start, grab the BC, jump out, and use it on the engine, or ground if fuel spilled etc.....where a few seconds of a small Halon might not do the trick.
....or use on a neighbour's aircraft, hangar, or lawnmower etc.

as you say, perhaps some of the older, bolder types have some real-life feeback.
Can you level the plane, hold your breath, and fire a dry chem extingiusher in a cabin? Ventilate, clean off the gauges, and actually carry on with an emergency landing?

Halon is the only choice!

Can you level the plane, hold your breath, and fire a dry chem extingiusher in a cabin? Ventilate, clean off the gauges, and actually carry on with an emergency landing?
No you can't

Halon extinguishes fires in a fraction of a second and allows you to continue breathing when used in a closed cabin environment.
All Halon is now reclaimed and no longer manufactured due to perceived environmental damage.
Nothing else comes even close to effectively fighting fires in an airplane.

Back