What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finsihing Kit - What to leave out?

JVolkober

Well Known Member
I am about to order the finishing kit. If you had to do this again, what would you recommend leaving out and purchasing separately from a source other than Vans? I plan to hold off on the spinner and get it later once I decide on fix vs constant speed prop.

To name a few...

...off the top of my head:
1. Nose wheel and axle bushings.
2. Static air kit.
3. Brake hoses.
4. Cabin air vents.

Search the forums about each of these systems and you will find much info on deficiencies in the OEM components, and possible 3rd party alternatives.

Depending on your engine, you might consider whether and which control cables to purchase.

There has also been discussion of the alt air door on the FAB, and my read on this was the the standard alt air door is not so well-designed. I ended up building my own - a sliding alt air door that can be opened and CLOSED from the cockpit rather than the open-only Vans version.

greg

Timely post

Thanks for asking the question, I am at the same point, just called Vans yesterday for the list of stuff in the finish kit.

I got the fairings etc fairing for the empenage so I don't need that, but I dont know about the other stuff.

...There has also been discussion of the alt air door on the FAB, and my read on this was the the standard alt air door is not so well-designed. I ended up building my own - a sliding alt air door that can be opened and CLOSED from the cockpit rather than the open-only Vans version.

greg
Or just don't add the alt air box. I didn't build it in and since I'm VFR, I see no reason to add it if you are going to be clear of ice.

Other things to think about:

Heater muff
Carb heater muff
Fuel flow
CHT & EGT probes
Aluminum contact paper to line the bottom cowling
Lace cord
A boat load of different sized adel clamps

Last edited:
Or just don't add the alt air box. I didn't build it in and since I'm VFR, I see no reason to add it if you are going to be clear of ice.

It's for the bird that just missed your
windscreen.... :D

The bird will block off the normal source of ram air, as well as the carb heat door. I know it's a long shot, but I installed it anyway. Adds more weight to the bottom of the plane........for stability. :D

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Tires

I held off on tires, figured it might be awhile till I needed them, and I didn't want the one's Vans supplies anyway.......

Back