What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finsh Kit Sequence Questions

N223JH

Well Known Member
Am inventorying finish kit and am surprised that the first item of business is fitting the wings on the gearless fuselage. I skimmed the plans and wonder if it would not be possible to install wiring and other innards and the landing gear prior to wing fitting. Expected that the wing attachment would include some torque tube measurement as was the case with my 6A but unless I missed it, the procedure just checks skin cutouts and general fit.

Can I roll my bird out later for the wing attachment procedure? I drilled and tapped but did not install turtle deck as recommended by others and would appreciate any guidance in the finish kit sequence from those who have already been there. TIA Jim

I did not fit the wings until the plane was on the gear and the engine hung. I did not have space in the heated shop and I was concerned about balance without the engine mounted. It took a whole 15 mins to fit the wings after that.

Marty waited until the very last before mounting the turtle deck, I did not, and wished I had. It just makes things easier to get at when working in the back, magnatometer mounting, tightening up tie wraps, ect., and you don't have to use a step to get at the fuel pump & tunnel. It does present some interior painting timing issues however.

We need pictures of your progress Jim!

Last edited:
Back