What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing up fuselage minus wings

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
So I’m at the point where I’m kind of stuck. I will not be attaching my wings until the end of the build due to workshop constraints.

I’ve done all the floor and side covers. At this point it seems logical to install the elevator pushrod and install my autopilot servo. I think I could install my control stick weldements. I also see that I can start install fuel lines in the cockpit which would require either using the stock fuel switch or buying the andair (covered in another thread).

I’ve heard that waiting on installing the rudder pedal assembly is smart…true?

I could make the front panel skins and ribs but don’t have my panel yet.

Suggestions from those guys who have gone before me would benefit greatly.

I did a search but didn’t really see what I need. Finishing kit coming in two months

Where I’m at:

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat. I installed the rudder pedals and brakes, fuel system, flap mechanism, control sticks, pushrods etc, vents, servo, trim cable, seatbelt cables and anchors, elt, etc. I then pulled everything out and painted the interior. I’m just wrapping up reinstalling everything for the last time as well as the last small bits of wiring (just the antenna rg400’s) and I’ll be basically be ready for the engine. My goal is to reduce final assembly time at the airport to just a few days of work. I learned this the hard way when it took 6 months of airport commuting to finish my -3b. Coincidentally, my finish kit arrives this afternoon. You’ve got a few months of steady work ahead at the stage you’re in now in my opinion.

Fuse

I’m in the same boat. I installed the rudder pedals and brakes, fuel system, flap mechanism, control sticks, pushrods etc, vents, servo, trim cable, seatbelt cables and anchors, elt, etc. I then pulled everything out and painted the interior. I’m just wrapping up reinstalling everything for the last time as well as the last small bits of wiring (just the antenna rg400’s) and I’ll be basically be ready for the engine. My goal is to reduce final assembly time at the airport to just a few days of work. I learned this the hard way when it took 6 months of airport commuting to finish my -3b. Coincidentally, my finish kit arrives this afternoon. You’ve got a few months of steady work ahead at the stage you’re in now in my opinion.

Yep. What he ^ said. Remember difficult stuf. Wire clips in the aft fuse, wire, antenna doublers and holes. They were a huge PIA since my fuse is basically done. Study firewall drawings and start laying that out. Lots of stuff I would move if starting over. Mount the empennage and finish the fairing. Mount gear and finish pants and fairings. Then there's everything FWF. You have plenty to do.

Back