What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing the pivot points on the canopy

kritsher

Well Known Member
I just finished my canopy fiberglass layup and removed the canopy from the fuse. I have a couple of ragged holes where I had to cut away the fiberglass in order to get at the pivot bolts, and I'm thinking about how to finish those holes up so they look nice and clean.

I've seen some examples of RV-12s with a large counterbore in that area, big enough to get that large washer out. Those counterbores seem to go perilously close to the front edge of the canopy arm, which I don't think looks particularly good. But for those who have gone this route, how did you make a nice clean round counterbore that's big enough to clear that washer and concentric to the bolt hole?

I've also seem some planes that have a smaller counterbore: some that are just big enough for a ratchet socket, others only just big enough for the head of a socket head cap screw. I was thinking of making a smaller counterbore by temporarily putting the bolt in place, covering the bolt head with its matching socket (maybe with a couple layers of tape and some mold release on it) and filling the gap between the socket and the canopy with epoxy/filler. This would give me a nice tight and concentric counterbore.

Question here is: Is it okay to epoxy that big washer into the canopy? I'm reluctant to do that since it seems like the canopy needs to pivot relative to the washer. Can I cover that washer with mold release, so that it ends up being captured in the canopy but can still rotate? Or can I use a smaller washer so that it can come out of the smaller counterbore? (Do I really need a big washer there? I don't really see the need...)

I'd appreciate input (and pics/links) on how others have tackled this.

Thanks

I put a 7/16" socket on the bolt head, slipped a short piece of Al tubing over it and filled in around it with flock. You end up with a perfect round hole that won't erode.

Canopy setup!

I used a dremal tool to finish out the hole to a perfect round shape large enough
to put the washer in freely and use a socket to put around the bolt head. Then later after all painted and done I bought a silver cap at the local hardware store used for electrical conduit work and a small amount of red RTB and clued the cap in place to cover the hole. Sorry I don't have a final picture of it to show you but you can click on the two links below to see other discussion on this form about trimming.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=68154&highlight=canopy

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=85983&highlight=Canopy

I just finished my canopy fiberglass. I inserted the socket with bolt, washer and bushing (to hold everything perfectly centered). I wrapped the socket in mylar tape, and coated it all with car wax for non-stick. I then carefully filled around the socket with micro balloons (very structural) and a 30 minute epoxy. Let it set up for 12 hours or so. Then, the ratchet handle can be used to wiggle the socket out, no problem. A little bit of easy sanding (you can use your index finger or the socket inside the hole) and you have a perfect hole, dead center on the bolt head, which perfectly fits the socket in the future. I was happily able to create the illusion that I know what I'm doing!!

Jim
RV-12
N448JR

Back