What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing the canopy fiberglass - high solid primer?

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to finishing the fiberglass strip on the front of the canopy. I've micro filled and sanded several times, and its getting pretty smooth. As I understand it, the next step is to use a "high solid primer" on it - possibly multiple coats and sanding in between.

My question is, what product have you guys who have gone through the prep and paint process used? And, can you buy it in small quantities? Can it be brushed or rolled on?

As always, any and all help appreciated.

Fiberglass Prep

For an excellent thread on fiberglass fabrication and prep see:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22931&highlight=fiberglass

In the past I've used K36 Prima, a high build product, to fill pinholes.

I'm at a point now where I don't want to mess with multiple applications of high build. For my RV I will use System 3 Clearcoat instead. It's an extremely thin epoxy that flows into the pinholes and can be rolled on flat surfaces or brushed on (carefully...it's real thin) vertical surfaces.

Available from a variety of sources in sizes as small as 12 oz ($22-39...pays to shop around).

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited:
Interlux Epoxy Primekote?

Has anyone used Interlux Epoxy Primekote as a sanding filler for the fiberglass? It is sold by West Marine so it seems it should be compatible with the West Systems epoxy.

Back