What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing Kit ... whoops! Fuselage Pin Stopper & Cowling

JerryG150

Well Known Member
I started the finishing kit yesterday and immediately messed up. :( Section 30-02 step 1 ! Tap the hole in each of the WD-1217C Fuselage Pin Stoppers... tap for 10-24 screw. I had a hard time with the first one (salvagable I hope) and then cracked the new tap (Home Depot $5.00, not in Avery's RV-12 kit) in half deep inside the stopper. I wish it would have said ... "final" drill hole with a #25 bit before tapping ... like it usually does. By the way ... each WD-1217C Fuselage Pin Stopper cost $30.00 ... ouch$ I'm still learning.

So I skipped to section 31 and the revised section 31-02, revision 1 step 6 calls for an AN931-4-12 grommet to be modified in step 6 on the 6/23/09 revision ... not in kit ... so I ordered 2 (in case I break one, not unlikely).

Then I skipped to section 38:Cowling. Now here's my problem. Section 38, step 1! Figure 1:Trimming the Top and Bottom Cowling ... do I remove material to the scribe line in the bottom cowling around the semi-circle where the prop protrudes and two inboard areas adjacent to the semi-circle where there are no hatched areas indicated, yet there is a scribe line? Don't see a scribe line ending the top of the bottom cowling from side hatched removal of material to front adjacent non hatched area. Hope someone understands what I am asking. I'm thinking I'll remove just the hatched area and draw an "imaginary line" connecting to the front unhatched area ... can't see a scribe line there.

Also my fuselage and attached tailcone are on 3 short homemade sawhorses. Do I put my 245lb. body in the cabin to do the wireing ... or should I wait to install the landing gear, inflate the tires and then get in for the first time? I don't want to damage the bottom of fuselage where it meets the sawhorses.

I was hoping to be flying my RV-12 by Xmas '09 ... now I'm guessing July 4th. of 2010 ... I still think the RV-12 is a Great Kit ... ... it'll be done when it's done. :)

CORRECTION: The WD1217C Fuselage Pin Stopper costs only $8.50, the WD1217 Fuselage Pin costs around $30.00 ... I received the wrong part when I received the replacement part ... I may have ordered the wrong part #. At least I damaged the cheaper or the two parts.

Last edited:
Running the wires

Gerry Easiest way to run the wiring harnesses is to turn the fuselage on its side, left side down for me. You will be able to reach everything that way. Do majority of section 32 in this position also.

Gerry- Michael is absolutely correct about putting the fuselage on its side to work on the wiring, control linkages, etc. Mine sits on a 2 foot high card table under the front and a 3 foot high table under the tail- you can then sit on a shop stool, and reach all the wiring and stuff in the tunnel very easily. You can even lean in, under the roll bar brace, and reach into the tail cone fairly easily to instal the wiring to the remote compass. Steve

Running the wires

Gerry

Also leaving the turtle deck skin off on the side you put down will make it easier to reach into the Tailcone.

Far as the cowling goes, mine was scribed just as the plans show. Might want to call Vans about yours if it seems different.

BEWARE OF THE SCRIBE LINES!!!

Jerry!!! Don't cut the 'line' around the semi-circle!!! I did and it cost me $150.00 for a body shop to put on that 1 inch by 7 inch strip that I cut off. I KNEW better the moment I started cutting because I DIDN'T go back and look at the hatched lines.:eek:
Meade #16

Thanks fellas ...

I'll be sure to turn my fuselage assembly on it side very soon (as soon as I finish the cowling section and restart the finishing kit from the beginning :eek: ).

I left off the turtle skins on both sides per Marty Santic and will install them later in the building process. Going to use plenty of clecos, before turning the fuselage assembly, where the rivets would have been in the turtle skins/tailcone if had been previously installed.

I'll call Van's tomorrow and determine the scribe line BEFORE I cut anthing else on the bottom cowling.

Meadeduck ... sorry to hear about your added expense $$$ I know what that's like :( I'll be sure to stay clear of the semi-circle and keep my eyes on only the hatched areas.

Thanks Again & Good luck to all!! :):):)

Back