What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing Kit Pricing

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi RVators,

Okay I am going to say it: "Wow the RV12 finishing kit pricing of $8450 was a bit more than I expected!"

That is typically +/- $2200 more than the other 2 seater models. http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/kitprice.htm

Wonder where the costs are, since the RV12 does not have any wheel pants or gear leg fairings, and the rear window shipped in the fuselage kit?

Yes you get seats (+/- $889 from http://www.flightlineinteriors.com website)

Any ideas what those costly items are that make up that $2200?

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
No idea Rudi but it will probably be the first time your kit piece cost more than the boat ride to South Africa. I don't how you live with the transportation part. I looked at a Pipistrel once and they wanted $8,000 just to ship it from Slovenia.

No idea Rudi but it will probably be the first time your kit piece cost more than the boat ride to South Africa. I don't how you live with the transportation part. I looked at a Pipistrel once and they wanted $8,000 just to ship it from Slovenia.

Hi Peter, shipping is not THAT bad to South Africa. I use a local shipping agent and to get a kit crate typically to my door is less than $1,000 all inclusive via sea freight and customs taxes etc.

Anycase I am still wondering what makes the Rv12 Finishing kit so "special"

Regards
Rudi

Anycase I am still wondering what makes the Rv12 Finishing so "special"

I am just guessing, but I know from experience that while the traditional "finishing" kit includes a lot of big, unique parts - canopy, cowl, gear, etc - the builder is still responsible for rounding up a whole host of other items that aren't included. Since Van's seems to be going for more of an "everything in the box" approach with the RV-12, perhaps the higher price implies a more complete finishing kit?

mcb

Contents do differ

The RV-12 finishing kit contents do certainly differ from the other RV's so it is clearly not an apples to apples comparison. Seats (upholstered) have already been mentioned. It also contains the fuel tank and all fuel tank components. It apparently contains a complete wiring harness for the airplane.

In the end, it brings the total airframe cost to just a hair above $20,000 which is exactly what was predicted on the original order form when the wings were released so I guess I was not surprised by the cost.

Estimates generally are a little high, so you can come in at a cost a little less and everyone is happy. Although I knew the 20K estimate, I was still thinking the finish kit would be 6 or 6 1/2 K. If, it is a more complete kit, takes leg work, and guessing out of the picture, I am pleased at that. Part of my decision making was the fact that this plane was going to be pretty much complete and all laid right out in the instructions. So far, that has been the case. While I am surprised at the cost, I am not having a problem with it.

Having built several RV's and waiting for the finishing kit for a 12, I would say that the higher than expected price is due to a much more builder friendly kit. I'm still in awe about how easy this 12 goes together, all due to the accuracy of the hole matching and completeness of the parts. Thumbs up for Vans. :)

Well, I can opine on where I think some of the costs came from....Rumor has it there are some pretty darned nice wiring harnesses (that didn't come from the cheapest vendor in the world) included in the finish kit! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Hi RVators,

Ok I asked Vans for a bill of materials, here is my summary:
The RV12 comparatively cheaper wing and fuse kit (compared to the other 2 seater models) is catching up in the finishing kit.

The finishing kit include components such as the tank and control surface rigging parts which is typical in either the wing or fuse kits of the other 2 seaters.
The finishing kit includes wiring harnesses and seats which is not typical in the other 2 seater models.

So comparatively to a RV9A for all the kits to finishing stage currently:
(RV9 Taildragger is cheaper but not comparitive to RV12 Nosewheel hence compare to RV9A.)
Model: RV 9A | RV12
Fastners: none | 250
Emp: 1,620 | 2,150
Wing: 6,810 | 5,480
Fuse: 6,240 | 4,600
Finish: 6,390| 8,450
----------------------------------
Total: RV9A=21,060 | RV12=20,930
----------------------------------

So it looks like seats + wiring harness in the RV12 swapped for wheel pants, fairings and thicker skins in others :D
So it ends up much of a much ness from a cost perspective.
The aircraft mission and build time is another ball game.

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Having built several RV's and waiting for the finishing kit for a 12, I would say that the higher than expected price is due to a much more builder friendly kit. I'm still in awe about how easy this 12 goes together, all due to the accuracy of the hole matching and completeness of the parts. Thumbs up for Vans. :)

+1 It is an amazing kit. If it don't cleco togeather something is wrong.

Rudi,

I understand your frustration but it also goes together like a lego set in half the time and best of all....costs far less than any of the other LSA's out there (that you can fit in) and flies like a Vans! I don't mind paying for getting what I expect to get...I can plan my future. I certainly am glad that Van's is not a public company that makes decisions in the interest of the shareholders....there wouldn't even be a twelve in that atmosphere...probably a bankrupt jet.

Rudi,

I understand your frustration but it also goes together like a lego set in half the time and best of all....costs far less than any of the other LSA's out there (that you can fit in) and flies like a Vans! I don't mind paying for getting what I expect to get...I can plan my future. I certainly am glad that Van's is not a public company that makes decisions in the interest of the shareholders....there wouldn't even be a twelve in that atmosphere...probably a bankrupt jet.

I don't sense frustration, just a need to know. I am in that boat. For me it is not so much the amount of money as it is the amount of time needed to budget the money. I have so much per month budgeted towards purchasing the kits. The more it costs the longer it will take for me to be able to have the money to buy the next kit. Every 1K dollars the cost increases means more time I have to wait in order to get it done. For me, what may seem like frustration with the cost is really impatience with the time. I keep telling myself "self at least when I am done, it will be paid for".

Last edited:
Rudi,

Hi Pete,

I am not really frustrated, just that having build a RV7 before, I wanted to know why the finishing kit is priced higher on first glance. Looking into the details one can see why, more parts and it is not a 1:1 comparison. I hope this also helps someone else see why too.

Regards,
Rudi

Cool...it was informative and helpful. I just know that Van's is like any other small business....the creative side that loves what they do and provide a genuine service to a consumer starving for something that works. The lies and greed that have ruined the economies of your country and mine have not destroyed the Van's of the world. Apparently he didn't risk his (and everyone elses) future on the fast buck. I honor him for that as much as I do the integrity of his company, his staff and his product.

Any word on when they will come out with a price for the FWF and/or avionics packages?

the avionics should be pretty straighfoward but it will be interesting to see if Van's gets any kind of a deal out of Rotax for the engines...right now Lockwood pretty much sells em for $19,000 or so. Seems like the Euro should have some impact but so does supply and demand.

Any word on when they will come out with a price for the FWF and/or avionics packages?
As of this evening, Air Wolf, out in California, lists the Rotax 912 ULS for $18,342. Hopefully, VANS can beat that price! The Sensenich ground adjustable prop goes for about $1500. I realize that VANS will only offer the fixed pitch prop, which should be considerably less than that. If you go to Chief aircraft catalog, you will find that the avionics should come out to between $9000 and $10,000, depending on which of the Garmin GPS's VANS decides on. Again, hopefully VANS can beat this price. Steve

Hey...it's just money!

Look at it this way folks. Have you looked at your 401K or IRA accounts lately? If you are anywhere near average you have lost 50% with your stock accounts over the last year...so 20K for a completed fuselage is reasonable. I value my time at $50. an hour...but building an RV-12 is recreation...it seems to me that I spend about $35. an hour to fly my Ercoupe and $75. an hour to rent a C-152...I'm expecting my RV-12, "Little Mistress" is going to be one heck of a bargain. My wife even knows where I am in the process!

Jay Sluiter

Back