What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing Kit Inventory

Tumper

Well Known Member
I am still trying to figure out the exact process of building this RV and I have not put my mind around exactly what is included in the ?Finishing Kit?. Can someone direct me to, or email me an inventory or list of what all is included in the finishing kit? I guess I could work backward from a complete plane less empennage, engine, fuselage, wings etc? but that would be a strain on the old cerebral cortex.

Many Thanks,
Dean
RV-9 QB
Empennage
[email protected]

Hi Dean..

....we just received one for a -7A and essentially, it is what it's named. You get the cowl, canopy and frame, gear legs and engine mount, wheels and brakes and tires/tubes and all associated hardware. Also the spinner and wheelpants/leg fairings.

Regards,

Dean,

Just give Van's a call - they have always been happy to email me an inventory list for sub-kits.

Paul

Finish Kit Inventory

Dean,
Just to echo Paul's recommendation...I sent Van's an email and they were happy to provide a sample inventory list in text format.

Van's will need to confirm the type of engine/engine mount you intend to use in order to provide the correct cowling and mount descriptions in the list. If you haven't decided on an engine, just pick one from their catalog that's in the ballpark of what you have in mind.
Mike

Thanks Guys,

The reason I am asking is I have some parts off an RV-7A I am working with. I have the cowling, spinner, wheels, tires and brakes but I am going to need landing gear, canopy and engine mount. I was just trying to get a handle on how much money I was going to save off the $6,000 finishing kit. Without getting real specific, I'd guess maybe half.

Thanks,
Dean
RV-9
There is a "Long and Winding Road" before I get in the air...

Dean,

Van's does not discount the parts when they sell them as a "kit", thus it isn't going to cost you anymore because they broke up the kit.

Also, the gear leg intersection fairings are not included in any of the kits, so you might want to ask them to include them as well.

BTW, when I built my -9, no one made either the upper or lower intersection fairings, they had them for the -9A but not the -9. This might have changed by now, Van's can tell you. (I made my lower intersection fairings and modified RV-7 fairings for the uppers.)

Kit Discounts

Dean,

Van's does not discount the parts when they sell them as a "kit", thus it isn't going to cost you anymore because they broke up the kit.

Sorry about this Bill and I'm not trying to start a debate here AND this is only what I was told, but, when I talked to Van's about omitting certain parts from the finishing kit and getting them later, I was told it would be better to get the entire finishing kit at once because the parts are discounted as a kit. Buying the motor mount, cowling and spinner at a later time would be so much more expensive because I bought them separately. Anyway, that's what I was told.

Robert,

No need to debate. I could always be wrong.

A few years ago when I was building I priced the parts of the electrical kit and the total came out the same as cost of the entire kit. I thought that applied to all the sub kits.

As always, check with Van's.

Back