What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing / Fiberglass Prep

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
If any have, or have knowledge of the best way to prep the cowlings and other fiberglass before paint. Our paint shop of choice will do it, but if its finished or close to finished we can save some $$$$ on the paint.

I'm guessing its similar to the canopy fairing work with sanding, filler, and skim coating. Also, if we prime as well, what is a suitable primer for Imron or Jet-Glo?

Thanks.

Each paint manufacturer will have its own line of primers. For warranty purposes it's probably best to follow their instructions and line of products. I just painted my RV-10 with Jetglo.. SW has both a sand able and non-sandable primer. I would assume that Imron has something similiar.

That doesn't mean that other primers won't work. Ask your painter what they prefer. Again, your warranty with your painter may be impacted with how you prep the fiberglass.

Dan H. has several detailed threads online here on how to address pinholes and fillers.

Back