What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finished RV-12 Build and Performance Opinions

D&M Dan

Well Known Member
I am thinking of switching my build from from my 9A to a 12. A simpler, less time consuming build may help me gain experience in areas I am not so familiar with, such as avionics, firewall forward, electrical, ect. I feel I will have time to go back to the 9A later.

My question to those of you who have completed your RV12 is if you enjoyed the build and had any disapointment with the performance of the aircraft?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I flew yesterday

It was a rare winter day in Iowa. 18 - 20 degrees, and light winds and mostly sunny. I think the performance has actually exceeded our expectations. With LITTLE thought, some of us were surprised to find out the plane goes beyond the 138 MPH we had drilled into us for a long time. We just had to understand that if below max weight, and say 1/2 tank of fuel, it will for sure go past the 138 MPH top speed. At gross weight, and sea level, it will not. ( meets the requirements for LSA) It climbs and performs as advertised. The more I fly it, the more I like it. Us early builders had a few issues to deal with, but we got thru them. Its a good plane overall. Not sure you will find anyone who thinks otherwise. Mines not for sale !

John Bender

Image what it will do with wheel pants.....

It's gonna be interesting & fun! The kit may include a mandatory drag chute. ;)

I took mine off the market also, and I'm headed to the paint shop next week. I'm gonna keep this baby "forever".

The build was very satisfying, challenging, and went fast, and far exceeded my expectations for quality and ease of completion. The folks at Vans were outstanding working with the first group of customer builders, mine was the 2nd customer built -12 to fly. We were on the "cutting edge" so to speak and kept Vans hopping to get the next kit out. I am deeply appreciative for the outstanding support and help I got from all of the crew at Vans & Steinair, they are the best.

Last edited:
Last rights

Pete

If you die rich we'll bury you in your RV-12 with the wings on. If you die poor we'll have to take the wings off and streamline them alongside the fuselage to reduce the number of cemetery lots we have to buy.

On ski sebbatical in Aspen,
Bob Kibby

in that case, just set the whole thing on fire and send my ashes to Aircraft Spruce, UPS Ground...they can use me for bubble wrap.

Pete

I'm In

Well after much thought, positive feedback, and reading every RV12 post I could find, I have decided to jump in. Ordered the tail and fasteners today. Looking forward to future tech advise during the build. Thanks for the feedback.:)

D&M Dan
You won't be sorry. You have started off right. The tail kit gives you a lot of help, but as you progress into other kits you will not find as much help in the plans. It is assumed you have learned a lot of the basics and those do not need to be repeated time and again.

Read the plans through completely when you get them, then read and understand each step before you act. Later kits will have many tasks within one step and if you did not read the whole step you may have missed something. When you get stuck and don't understand a step, ask for help on the forum or better still, call or e-mail Van's Support. I like the e-mail as it gives me a written record of the answer. If a part doesn't or the holes don't line up, stop! You may have it on the wrong side or in backwards, don't force it. Van's designed the kit some holes offset, so they only fit one way. You may find when skinning, some holes will not allow the rivets to enter. This is not the misalignment I was refering to. Ribs may need a little help to get their holes aligned with the skin. A scratch awl with the tip dulled makes a great alignment tool.

There will be challenges as you progress. Don't get discouraged. Take your time and see it through. You can even stop working on that task and move on to something else. When you feel like it, come back and peck away at it until your done. Don't be discouraged if you mess up a part, we all do it from time to time. Replacement parts are just a phone call away. Also you will be drilling out some rivets for one reason or another. Van's usually includes some extras, but again they can sell you all you need.

Your goal is to build an airplane, but take it one task at a time and before you know it you'll be there.

Art Pennanen

Well after much thought, positive feedback, and reading every RV12 post I could find, I have decided to jump in. Ordered the tail and fasteners today. Looking forward to future tech advise during the build. Thanks for the feedback.:)

Good Choice!

You know I've been so tempted by the 12 for the past year. I really want to get one. I have to finish this Cobra first, then I think I'll build my "last" airplane.

That was fast !

Just received a call from ABF. Tail and fastener kit will arrive on Friday. :):What kind of lead time is required for the wing and fuselage kits.

Uh, if you haven't ordered it already, you're in for a long wait.
I ordered the whole kit, first week of Jan., fuselage ships 3rd week of March, wings ship 2nd week of April.

Regards,

I ordered wings, fuselage and tail last week in Jan. Mine won't ship until the first week in May.

Not Good

Uh Oh! I Better think about getting those on order. Are the fuselage kits more easily obtainable? Any reason to build wings first?

Back