What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish Kit: Wingtip Back Strip

Lynnb

Well Known Member
So I was inventorying my finish kit and found 2 AS3-020X1/2x48 "Wingtip Back Strip". Since I'm in the process of finishing up the wings this caught my attention. I assumed these must be used on the wingtips, probably between the nutplates and the fiberglass, so I start searching for any reference in the drawings, PDF's and even here. I can't find where these strips are used. Seems odd they would come in the finish kit if they are for the wing tips, since those are long wrapped up in the plans.

Any insight on where these strips are used? Was there a service bulletin I missed?

Thanks,
Lynn

I'm not sure, but that sounds like the strip that is cut off the f-1074 upper tail cone skin, or maybe I"m looking at the wrong thing.

I think those are for if you decide to pop-rivet your wingtips on instead of using the nutplates and screws. Otherwise it's just spare scrap.

I'm confused too

Interesting question! I recently received my finish kit too and didn't notice until now, but I just checked and have the same parts, 2x AS3-020X1/2X48 Wingtip Back Strip.... hmmmmm.

I can confirm they are *not* for attaching the cabin cover to the fuselage, those are the 2x F-10107 Rivet Backup Strips included in the fuse kit. Along the upper edge of the cabin cover is a third strip, which is the leftover piece cut from the F-1074 Tailcone Forward Top Skin (although the strip itself doesn't have its own part number) included in the emp kit.

I searched the PDF plans (wing/fuse/finish) in a number of ways to try and find a reference to these Wingtip Back Strips and came up empty handed. I bet Patrick is right above about them being for pop riveting the wing tips... still just weird there's no mention of them that I can find anywhere in the plans. Dangit, these had to add AT LEAST an extra $0.75 to the cost of the finish kit! :eek:

E-mailed Vans

Well the curiosity has gotten to me, so I e-mailed Van's. We'll see what they say.

Read this post yesterday and coincidentally came across these strips unused in my scrap box last night. Mine flies great without these strips, has been for the last five years.

Response from Van's:
After a bit of searching the only explanation I see for this in the finishing kit would be under
the hinges to attache the cowling to the fuselage if needed. At this point there is no reason to
add them to the wing tips.

Back