What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish kit lead time

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
Has anyone received their RV-9A finish kit lately? I just ordered mine and the website states the lead time as 9 weeks. I was wondering if that is accurate, conservative, or optimistic.

Last edited:
I ordered mine 7/7/08 and Van's says it will ship the first week in Sept. If it does ship then, that would be 7 weeks.

I ordered the finishing kit and firewall forward kits at the same time and it took about 8 weeks. The date Van's tells you when you order has always been spot on for me, except for the engine. I suggest you go on and order some of the heavier things you will need in order to save shipping charges. For example, I had them ship the battery and some of the wire I would need. Since I also included the F/W foward kit, I saved even more on shipping had I waited, plus I was able to mount some of the firewall items earlier when it is easier to do.

Mine was ready when they said - shipping is the problem

My finishing kit was ready the week before Oshkosh. I chose to have Partain deliver it but he is behind so it is still in the warehouse. If I would have went with ABF I probably would have had it the week of Oshkosh. The savings between the two wasn't that great. Granted I still have things I can work on so not having the kit in hand isn't that big a deal but I think its fair to let people know that there can be a problem with deliver times with Tony if you are wanting to ship around Oshkosh time. He is shipping stuff for Van's to and from Oshkosh so some of his trucks are dedicated for that.

This also happened Oshkosh time last year on my friend Mike's quickbuild RV8A fuselage. With a quickbuild kit Tony is probably the only way to go unless your picking it up yourself.

When I last talked with Tony he just said its on the schedule but I never got a actual shipping time frame just sometime in the next two or three weeks. If I don't hear something from Tony next week, I'll call Van's and if its still in the warehouse have them get in touch with ABF to have them pick it up.

Finish kit

Hey Mike sorry for the delay, We got hit with one driver very getting sick (he is still not doing very well), one driver's daughter getting cancer and OSH all at the same time. It's been a trying time. My stress level has been much higher than I would prefer.

But the good new is that we have added three more trucks and we are working as hard as we can to catch up. We just shipped 13 QB in the last few days. This leaves us with three loads to ship. So I expect to be caught up in the next two weeks.

If you need your finish kit earlier please let me know if your going to send it ABF so I can get someone else on the load.

Choose ABF and your playing Russian roulette with the safety of your kit.

I failed that game 2 out of 2 times with them. Never again!

Partain = almost guaranteed safe delivery

I'll try to be patience for another week or so - but

Tony,

I understand that businesses have things come up and things go crazy so I'll try to be patience for another week or so but at the rate things are going Jim's kit will ready to ship and mine will still be sitting in the warehouse. I guess that would be good for you and him (if he decides to ship with you) seeing as he is on this side of the coast as well so you could kill two birds with one stone.

I know the quickbuild guys got more money involved so if they've been waiting longer then me they really must be chomping at the bit. Its just frustrating that Vans have their money but my kit is gathering dust in Oregon instead of gathering dust here in Kentucky:)

Brian,

Sorry about your luck with ABF

Andy,

If you use Tony to have your kit shipped and I see it on the truck I'm going to be PO'd:mad:

Two of my kits were shipped ABF (wing and fuselage) without a bit of trouble. I was very pleased with their service.

Lead Time

Just ordered mine on 8/7, and yesterday got a shipping estimate from Van's for the week of 9/29. So, seems about 8 weeks now.

RE: Partain vs ABF. I've had good luck with ABF in the past, but I did contact Tony this time as I'd prefer to keep it in the family, as it were. Unfortunately, he doesn't have anything else coming my way at that time, so it's looking like I'll be trying my luck with ABF again.

Kevin Mannon
Bedford, NH
RV-9A - Finishing Kit

Kit is being picked up on Sept 5th

I talked with Tony briefly on the phone today. My finishing kit is scheduled to be picked up at Vans's on Friday Sept. 5th.

Finish Kit shipping cost

My biggest complaint with the finishing kit was the cost to ship it via ABF which came to some $600 a couple of years ago! The total weight was a little over 100 lbs. since I already had the mount for my rotary engine (to include the nose gear leg), and my cowling was coming from Sam James. Had I known it was going to be this much I would have sought other options on my own since this price per pound was totally unjustified as far as I was concerned. Live and learn...

Doug Lomheim (90116)

Mine weighed around the 330 lbs that Vans said it should

Well when I got mine this past Sunday(14th) I believe it weighted the 330 lbs that Van's states. Three of us pushed it up my 300 ft driveway (uphill) with two 1000 lbs furniture dollies. I say the crate alone is 50 lbs and it is rather large being about 4' x 8' x 27". Tony charged me exactly what he originally quoted when I set it up with him three months earlier. If I need something and he has a truck coming to the east I'd use him again. I just wouldn't try to have anything shipped at the end of July or beginning of August.

When I ordered my RV6-A QB with the finishing kit in 2000,
the waiting time was 6 MONTHS.
You guys are lucky.
Keep building. Its worth every minute.
Rich
RV-6A
850 RV GRIN HRS

ABF was excellent for me

I just recieved my wing, fuse and finish kit. Delievery was shipped on schedule and delivered a day early. I picked it up at the dock and they even loaded my trailer for me. They were excellent and everything was in perfect condition.

Will pick up in the morning

Well, my finish kit will show up at ABF Freight terminal in the morning. It actually came in almost two weeks early. Thanks Van!

Last edited:
Back