What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finger Strainer

clutch22

Well Known Member
Is the finger strainer supposed to be screwed in all the way to where the fitting bottoms out, or am I supposed to just torque it to like 150-195 in-lb and stop there?

13%2B-%2B1

Fuel lube it and torque as you have with any other fuel fitting spec. One of mine bottomed out, the other never did.

Well ****... I did something bad tonight. The strainer shown above went in and came out fine, and I was curious how the other one fit in the other fuel tank and it went in fine, I didn't over torque it, and galled the threads on the way out.
Since this is a QB Wing, this is my first dealing with aluminum fittings and I'm feeling pretty dumb right now.
I have little faith that the VA-141 will clean up when I acquire and run a 1/2" NPT tap through it, but maybe it will.... It's too bad this VA-141 doesn't get installed from the exterior.

Well just to follow up, The threads cleaned up after running a tap through it. So that's good and I can build on now.
By the way when I install the finger strainer for the leak test, can I plan on that being a permanent install? I'm planning on coating the threads with proseal is why I'm asking.

Semi-Permanent. You SHOULD remove it for annual inspections to make sure its not clogged. You will also probably want to inspect it before and after initial fuel flow tests. But you can easily remove it with Proseal in place. Just reapply when you put the fitting back in.

Semi-Permanent. You SHOULD remove it for annual inspections to make sure its not clogged. You will also probably want to inspect it before and after initial fuel flow tests. But you can easily remove it with Proseal in place. Just reapply when you put the fitting back in.

I won't disagree that it is prudent to check the screen after some intial filling/draining/testing of new tanks, but making this a part of the annual condition inspection (IMO) is not necessary (if it was I'd be doing it).

On every other RV this would require quite a bit of work to drain the tanks, remove the cover plates and pull the pick up tubes.

Like any detailed inspection, if you find a reason to investigate further, than by all means continue the inspection until you are satisfied that you have fully inspected the system in question.

Back