What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally!!!

Don Jones

Well Known Member
Seems like I have been working on the tip-up canopy on my 9A for an eternity. I didn't much like the fit originally so I added fiberglass skirt extensions, so part of the time is my own fault, but this is definately the toughest part of the kit. Today I pronounced it finished!!! I am extremely happy with the results. Like others I made the skirt extensions out of 4 layers of 8 oz BID and have them overhanging the side of the fuse around 3/8". I put 2 layers of tape on the fuse sides followed by a layer of clear mylar tape to provide clearance for the skirts. The final product is sweet! The canopy now resides inside one of the crates from the finish kit until I get the rest of the fuse done. Finally progress I can see again!

Well at least I get to fly Russd's 9A until mine is done:D

canopy1.jpg

canopy2.jpg

canopy3.jpg

canopy4.jpg

Last edited:
The beauty of FG!

Outstanding! As much as tin benders cuss fiberglassing, I think it's an awesome medium to build with because it's so adaptable.

Outstanding! As much as tin benders cuss fiberglassing, I think it's an awesome medium to build with because it's so adaptable.

I like working with the stuff, I wish the canopy frame was all fiberglass, that way it would be easier to make the stupid thing fit. Too big here, grind some off, too small here, glass on some more layers. What could be easier:) It would beat the heck out of bending and banging it into shape.

Last edited:
Don,

Looks very nice! I have yet to do any fiberglassing on my kit. I hope I can do as well.

Your fairing in of the front of the canopy looks very smooth and seemless. How far forward did you fiberglass? From the pictures it is hard to tell if that forward section is glass or aluminum.

Don,

Looks very nice! I have yet to do any fiberglassing on my kit. I hope I can do as well.

Your fairing in of the front of the canopy looks very smooth and seemless. How far forward did you fiberglass? From the pictures it is hard to tell if that forward section is glass or aluminum.

Thanks for all the compliments!
Actually it is glassed about 2 inches forward of the intersection between the plexi and aluminum skin and about 1 inch up on the plex. Once cured I feathered the edges of the fiberglass and filled it with Awlfair making a nice smooth curve and smothing the transition onto the aluminum skin. After a ton of time block sanding and feathering it that's how it came out. The rivet line in the front has almost disappeared from all the blocking and blending. You can still see them in person, they don't show in the pictures

Congrats on completing the canopy and a beautiful job at that.

It is the absolute least desirable, most difficult, and frustrating part of the build in my opinion. Your's looks great!

You have some..

great riveting skills Don. Very smooth and clean.

Congrats on you beautiful canopy work.

E.

Back