What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally, I am a builder

SvingenB

Well Known Member
The kit arraived today. It's been 4 and a half month since I ordered, but whoo cares, its here. 5 crates packed with aircraft parts that have travelled by sea all the way from Oregon to Norway.

Unfortunately one crate was damaged, and two aliminum parts were bendt out of shape. I'm not sure if I will argue with the insurance bureau and get two new parts (it's all documented by the transport agent), or just bend them back in shape? Could the metal be weakened if it is bended too much?

Anyway, the merriest Christmas ever, and it's not even Christmas :)

I also have started a blog. There I have some puctures of the damage.

http://rv-4-svingenb.blogspot.com/

Get the new parts

I'd say the shipping company owes you some new parts. Don't settle for less. You paid for the parts that Vans made and that is not what you got. My .02 cents.

The parts that were bent were also stretched, so if you bend them back they will always be crooked unless you know how to shrink them back. So, get some new parts. The parts themselves are pretty cheap by airplane standards. The shipping to Norway must be fierce, though. The 4 has always been my sentimental favorite. I own an early set of plans. I'll keep an eye on your blog. Post often, and good luck!

Push back on VANS and the freight company.

B - I must be the European expert on damaged stuff from VANS, I have had so much of it. This is what I suggest you do.

1. Formally tell the shipping co. - I think you have done that.
2. Tell Barb. Probably she will just send you new bits in my experience because unless its major cost for them it is cheaper to do that than go through the claim.

Don't try to use them. You will always be frustrated.

I think it is important that we push packing and shipping problems back on the packers and shippers. It is the only way they will ever become competent. Why should you pay for sea freight packaging only for it to arrive damaged. It is their fault, not yours.

Don't let it spoil the good news that you now have a job to do!

Have fun,

OK, thanks, that is what i will do.

I still have two crates left to unpack, i'm setting up shelves as i go. So far everything else have been in perfect condition, and i'm impressed of the quality in which everything is labelled and bagged.

Back