What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally, cooler oil temps

Jeffreymd

just to help yall out a bit. i was having oil temps in the 205-212 range and didn't like that. lycoming manual(io-540) states that keeping your oil temps between 180-200 will extend the svc life of your engine. i took the van's oil cooler off and bought bill's new oil cooler from "airflow sytems". it has lowered my oil temps down under 200. before and after runs(van's cooler then airflow cooler), i got 10 degrees cooler on climb to 6000', and 7 degrees cooler in cruise at 6000'. on my take off roll, both days, the noted oat was 89 and the oil temp was 120. my cht's were lowered as well. it was an easy bolt off, bolt on fix. he made them to fit in place of the van's cooler. my builder just bought one for his rv8 that he's piecing together, and trust me...he knows a good thing when he sees one. by the way, he flew with me on my runs. so......if you have an rv10 and live in the south or just want lower temps, trash the van's cooler, or just save money and not have them add it in the ff kit, and put an airflow cooler on. I AM SO SO SO MUCH HAPPIER NOW!!!!! sincerely, jeff

I would guess that the higher compression ratio pistons you mentioned in a previous post and the additon of A/C which may block some of the intake air at the cowl entrance might definitely make a larger cooler necessary. I don't know how much additional load your generating but it has to be substantial, especially on an 89 degree day with the A/C on?? :D

you MAY? be right on the compression issue. but as far as the load on the engine with the a/c running. it's so small, i can't read a difference on the engine gauges when i turn it on or off. so i doubt that part. even if it did, that a/c here in the south is worth it's weight in gold bubba. i took a trip to charlston, sc from my home base in n.w. al. over fathers day and i had to close the rear vents due to my 3 girls having there butts froze off in the back seat, hehe. jeff

Back