What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final tail surface attachment

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Finished the Emp kit, and ready to do the fiberglass which appears to have the tail surfaces on/off a couple of times during the process. Considering how bloody difficult this is, I'd like to minimize the process. Looking further forward, the drawings show the tail cone being mated to the fuselage without the surfaces attached, but then I don't see anyplace telling me to attach them other than at the end of the Emp kit. Just when did you guys who are way ahead attch the tail surfaces for the last time?

THANKS

Wayne

Left the empennage fairings until the very end. Attached the VS and rudder yesterday and am 75% done with the tailcone fairing. It is much easier to complete the majority of the steps for the tailcone fairing with the HS off. To ensure you have 1/8" clearance between the HS and the tailcone fairing and to align the tailcone fairing, the HS has to be installed. I will be doing that tomarrow.

For me, the HS, VS and rudder will have to come off to get the plane out of the garage!!!

So essentially, I will be installing the HS once, removing it, taking all to the airport, and then assembling in the hangar.

Tail Surfaces

Unlike Marty, I'm in Texas so the weather allowed me to build the entire plane in a hanger. I put the tail surfaces on one time and haven't taken them off since. You do not need to take them off to put the fiberglass faring on. If you can leave em on, leave em on.

consider weather

I did the fiberglass right after finishing the tail, but that was because the weather was right. Its easier to sand the fiberglass outside to avoid the mess in the garage.

I used Fiber Glast 1100 lightweight epoxy filler to do the finish coat instead of microbaloons. Its easy to work with.

Back