What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final assembly sequence?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I'm about to start the final assembly of my -7 and wondering in which sequence to do it?

My thoughts are to follow the sequence for construction in the manual: tailfeathers and then wings.

Also I guess it'd be practical to wait to install the canopy until the last few wires are done? (I've a tip-up)

Also I think it'd nice to install the prop last?
Installed, it'd be just in the way?

Anything else I schould think of before starting to put all these parts together?

Thanks.

Alf,

I'm not sure the sequence is all that important.

Just remember, with the engine hung and no wings or tail on, it is VERY nose heavy and can easily be tipped over.

Once the wings are on, there add enough weight behind the main gear this is no longer a big issue.

In my case, we put the wings on while I had all the help around. The HS and VS were added a day later, along with the control surfaces.

By all means get as much done up under the forward skin, instrument panel, and tip-up before installing the wings. Otherwise you will find yourself walking ALL THE WAY around the wings to do simple tasks. My forward top skin was riveted on just before the move to the airport.

I had almost everything I could do done prior to move to the airport. Once there, here's my sequence:

1) Install Wings, bolt and torque
2) Connect wing wiring
3) Install ailerons and flaps (had to drill and fit flap rod)
4) Fit and install tank vent, fuel lines, and fuel level sensor
5) Install HS/ VS
6) Install elevators and rudder
7) Connect trim tab wiring
8) Connect lower rudder wiring and install fairing.
9)Install rudder control cables
10)Install tailwheel links
11) Install rear window (tipper - wait as long as possible to install this)
12) Prep for engine runs
13) Do initial engine runs/ leak checks
14) Final inspections
15) Rivet forward skin (depending on what you have here, hold this open as long as possible)
16) Paperwork for inspection.

Anyway, that's my story.

Back