What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final Assembly / Condition Inspection Checklist -6

Jimd

Well Known Member
I am starting the final assembly of my -6 and thought it would be a good time to use some form of checklist as I torque things down for the last time.

I have searched and not seen anything yet.

(I must be doing something wrong on the internal search. I did the same search on Google and found several hits for checklists that brought me right back here!) I will still take input for threads and/or lists.

Jim

Last edited:
There is a pre-inspection checklist in the faq section of VAF; is that what you were looking for?

Hi Jim....

...for what it's worth, if you'll start at one end of the airplane or the other and work toward the other end systematically, checking everything as you approach it until you end up at the other end, is how my favorite A@P/IA does annuals. He likes to start at the tailwheel end. Check and lube bearings, grease swivel, etc, then rudder bearings, elevator bearings, pushrod and rudder cables and so on.

By the time you've reached the front, the spar bolts should have been torqued, as well as the control attach points, rudder pedals/cables cotter-keyed, then stay focussed on every single engine hose, wire, spark plugs/leads, etc, ending up with the prop bolts and spinner. Then go over all of it again, with a second or third pair of eyes.

Good luck,

Thanks for the help guys!

Pierre and Patrick,

I like the checklist in the FAQ section, I have printed it and am taking that with me to the hanger today. I have sort of been doing the tail to spinner approach but I jump around too much to trust I have not missed something. I think once I get through it once the tail to spinner approach is going to work good (I think I will combine the two).

Jim

I think that's a good approach, Jim. The checklist isn't all-encompassing (avionics, for instance) and has plenty of room for notes, plus you can always modify it on your computer. But if you systematically go through the checklist and, in each area, look for and add the items specific to your aircraft you should get pretty close. That's what I'm doing, but I still won't be surprised to have missed something come inspection. Oh, well, that's what inspection is for.

Using inspection lacquer also helps.

Back