What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filtered Air Box

shiney

Well Known Member
My filtered airbox is rubbish, sounds like it's much the same as most others! It's way outside the baffle floor so I did some reasearch on VAF and came up with a post from 2008 which describes my situation perfectly;

I am finishing my baffles and laid up the VA132 FAB snorkle between the Horzontal fuel injector and the left air inlet. I was suprised to see the filter end of the FAB go outside ( to the left of the left air inlet) by about 2 1/2" . I will need to take a 2 1/2" section out of the middle of the FAB to make it fit.

I called Van's and they said they only make one type of FAB and they never heard of anyone having to modify one like this.

This is on a Superior, horizontal draft I0-360 180 HP engine. I can't see why this dimension should be any different than a lycoming.

I have seen some posts about having to take some stuff off the front of the cowl but I have not seen anything like this in the posts.

One answer was to do the following;

I had the same problem. I saw the solution of one of the European RV builders sites. I cut the box in 2 at the mid section. I placed the top half into the baffle where I wanted it, based on the position of the air filter. I attached the lower half to my fuel injection metering body. With the top and bottom in place I fiberglassed them back together while trying to smooth out the transition between the two. I am happy with the final result.

Before I start making any big cuts, are there any other suggestions or is this the tried and tested method?

Thanks

Martin :)

That is exactly what I and at least one other builder I know of did. There is no way in @@@@ that I could have made it fit as is. I also had to cut the top off so the alternator would fit and cut a slot for the oil return line to clear. When I rejoined the Snorkle I left enough room to use another starter if I ever wanted to. It was not difficult, just very time consuming and frustrating. I have the stock Lycomming IO-360 M1B from Vans. Pictures available upon request.

Pictures please

Thanks John, if you could post or email some pics that would be great.

Thanks

Martin

I cut the flange off instead and reglassed it to fit. Not sure which approach is best, but I'm happy with mine. Needed a couple dimples to make room for the alternator and the mixture cable end at full rich (Superior cold induction with Precision servo).

Good Luck!

Back