What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filtered Air Box questions

simatos

Well Known Member
Just assembling the FAB. I have noted many comments that the FAB is prone to cracking. Wondering which parts that seem to be failing and if there are areas that need beefing up. Look forward to any comments
Thanks Gary

I just finished mine, and my research showed that some people replaced the top plate with a stainless steel piece, as theirs were cracking. Others made a brace, similar to an exhaust hangar, that tied the front of the FAB to bolt on the engine above.

I did not do either of the above, but will keep a close eye on it. I have a 150HP O-320, and many of the reports of cracking I found were from those with 360's.

Chris

O-360 RV-6 350 hrs.

Just did the annual condition inspection with a close look at this area. No cracks or defects. Built to specs per Van's plans. Well, I did offset it a tad as some are close enough to hit the cowl and cause issues.

O-320 RV9A 2,300 hours. Had a brace since day one no cracks so far. Copied the idea either from late Bob Axsom or one of our rocket scientists. Highly recommended.

great you guys, I like the brace on the front of the assembly. Wonder if the fibreglass bowl has given anyone trouble, Ive seen several beefed up. Thanks for info
Gary

great you guys, I like the brace on the front of the assembly. Wonder if the fibreglass bowl has given anyone trouble, Ive seen several beefed up. Thanks for info
Gary

Gary my air filter chewed the FAB bottom and I glassed it with couple extra layers. Also research the archives on using red RTV there were reports it doesn't tolerate avgas.

Vlad,
Thanks OK i got 2 of your mods to do on the FAB, I saw the RTV too and wondered if it could get eaten by the engine. Had a conference now with the boys in the coffeeshop , no one knew if it was safe to use on an airbox but now we know to avoid it. And I agree a hundred friends is better than a hundred rubles, Cheers Gary

Back