What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filtered Air Box Question

LarryT

Well Known Member
The 1997 flying RV-6A I purchased has an O-320 engine with MA-4SPA 10-5217 carb. Has the air filter P/N changed since this aircraft was built?

The K & N air filter appears to have a molded-in P/N of A064A6 and does NOT fit well (really cobbled in place IMHO). The air filter is oval, overall outside length is 6 3/4 on bottom side and 7 1/4 carb side. The overall outside width is 5 3/8 bottom side and has been stretched to 6 1/4 on the top side to clear the carb acclerator pump bottom cover. The bottom aluminum cover is stamped either VA-130-0 or VA-130-D.

The Van's Accessory Catalogue shows a K&N airfilter P/N E-3260. According to the K&N website, the E-3260 is ROUND NOT Oval. Has the size of the FAB changed to accommodate the round filter?

If the FAB size hasn't changed, I believe I could switch to the round E-3260 filter by purchasing a new bottom cover to replace the VA-130-0 (or -D).

I will also try to get through to Van's if I can call at the right time, but thought someone might have already been through this.

Larry

The new ones are round as well but when you put it into the oval box, there are some clips that hold it in place forcing it to become oval.

The 1997 flying RV-6A I purchased has an O-320 engine with MA-4SPA 10-5217 carb.......The K & N air filter appears to have a molded-in P/N of A064A6 and does NOT fit well (really cobbled in place IMHO).......Larry

At the time of the installation on my carburated 0-320, the K&N filter was modified by carving out a small chunk of one edge of it to better conform/seal to the carburator/FAB. After installation, the area around the now exposed and unprotected chunk of the filter was dabbed with high temp RTV to restore a good seal. Depending upon the skill and craftsmanship of the original builder, it is possible the slightly modified K&N filter could then range in appearance from a neat and tidy to crude and sloppy. The general modification I described was once outlined in a George Orndorf video. Perhaps someone else can offer more specific and helpful details.

Vans told me the same thing

Guess I wanted to believe that this installation was neater/cleaner/more user friendly. I have ordered a new filter. Perhaps it will be more ductile and able to conform around the five through bolts. I didn't think I was ever going to get the existing filter re-installed.

Larry

Guess I wanted to believe that this installation was neater/cleaner/more user friendly. I have ordered a new filter. Perhaps it will be more ductile and able to conform around the five through bolts. I didn't think I was ever going to get the existing filter re-installed.

Larry
Larry,

FYI - you do not need to replace K&N filters, only clean them. You can buy the cleaning kit at any auto parts store.

What the others have said is correct, you take a round filter, modify it to fit over the protrusions on your carb and then use some RTV to mold/seal it to the shape of the carb.

Elliptical perimeter calculation...

shows that the required elliptical dimensions of 4.125 x 6.125 require a round filter with an ID of 5.06. The E-3260 is 5" ID, so the calculation shows it is about 0.2" too short on the perimeter, which is why it is a force fit.

The K&N "search by dimension" chart shows that the E-3322 has an ID of 5.25 but an OD of 6.25 (versus) the 6.375 of the E-3360. Both are the same height.

Has anyone tried the E-3322 K&N round filter? Since it could deform to a slightly long ellipse, it might work around the accelerator pump without wacking out a section. I don't know if the reduced thickness of the air filter ring 1/2" vs. 11/16" would be an issue.

Larry

A little follow up to Larry T and the E3322 K & N airfilter

I have a new to me RV9 Yesterday I did an oil change cleaned the plugs and checked and changed the airfilter I also didn't like they way they made the original filter fit I went to the E3322 after reading Larry's post I thought it made a cleaner easier option I made a new plate that holds the filter in place It ended being a bit of compromise in shape a little more round than the original Thanks Larry for that thought Gary

Back